Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to use RBK50 instead of FIOS router

Grethferth
Initiate

Trying to use RBK50 instead of FIOS router

I am trying to setup an Orbi RBK50 in place of a Verizon FIOS router. I have a CAT6 cable run from the OTN port (which is enabled) from the FIOS main box. When plugged into the FIOS WAN router port I have a connection to the internet. When it is plugged into the Orbi it does not detect the internet.

I have tried to plug a laptop into the ONT port, which has not been able to connect to the internet also (which is using DHCP).

Is there anything addional needed from Verizon to enable the Orbi to connect?

Greth

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Grethferth
Initiate

Re: Trying to use RBK50 instead of FIOS router -SOLVED-

Problem was solved. I had to put the old Verizon router back online and release the IP from the Fios routes admin console. Once that happened the Orbi could see the Internet.

One other thing that happened was the DNS IP's needed to be changed (auto populated by Verizon), as they also interfeared with the connection to the Internet. I just went with 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, which worked fine.

Greth

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Trying to use RBK50 instead of FIOS router

• Is there a way to "reboot" the ONT?
    (Maybe the ONT has "learned" the MAC address of the FIOS router and is waiting for it to reappear?)
  • Maybe Call Verizon and ask them, "what the f**k?"
Message 2 of 4
Grethferth
Initiate

Problem was solved. I had to put the old Verizon router back online and release the IP from the Fios routes admin console. Once that happened the Orbi could see the Internet.

One other thing that happened was the DNS IP's needed to be changed (auto populated by Verizon), as they also interfeared with the connection to the Internet. I just went with 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, which worked fine.

Greth

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Grethferth wrote:

Greth

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7