Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Turn off WiFi on RBR50

SnorkyMN
Aspirant

Turn off WiFi on RBR50

Hello,

Due to a new internet provider for my community, which is putting in WiFi in every unit, I don't need to use my Orbi anymore for Wifi, but I still want to use it as a switch/hub for my hardwired connections.   I looked online for answers how to turn off wifi, but every answer I tried seemed to have options that I couldn't access.  Like turning on Telnet and logging in and running commands, or going into advanced setup and just clicking enable or disable.. none of these things seem to be an option on my Orbi.

Does someone know how to disable WiFi on this Model?    It's on firmware version V2.7.4.24.  

-Trent

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Turn off WiFi on RBR50

You can turn off the ssid broadcast but it doesn't actually disable the radio. 

So its not much benefit. 

You might just wait and see how your apartments router works. The orbi might provide better coverage. 

Message 2 of 6
SnorkyMN
Aspirant

They have to build a mesh, using the Amazon Eero, so my Orbi Mesh is no longer needed.   And I didn't want the 2 additional wifi signals so close to where my wife and I are working.    But if I can't figure it out, I'll just have to try to sell the base and Satellite and use switch.   

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Might be a good idea to "wait and see" how this plan to mesh a lot of units with eero works out.

The more paranoid of us would be a bit wary of sharing a network with LOTS of strangers.

Message 4 of 6
SnorkyMN
Aspirant

Oh, the mesh would only be for in my home, I will not share a mesh with others.   Though once outside our own personal networks, we're all on the same wire, just like for cable or whatever else.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@SnorkyMN wrote:

Oh, the mesh would only be for in my home, I will not share a mesh with others.   Though once outside our own personal networks, we're all on the same wire, just like for cable or whatever else.

This appears to put you in the usual position, i.e. deciding which is more useful to you:

• The WiFi network provided by the Internet Service Provider, which it also appears that you are forced to pay for, or
  • Your own WiFi network.

Maybe you will like the eero mesh system features and performance and prefer it, so the Orbi will be redundant and purchasing an inexpensive Ethernet switch to add enough ports to connected everything will be the solution.

Or, it could be that the eero is a disappointment and you are stuck with trying to get out of paying for it.

Looks like a "head to head" comparison is coming up.  If the eero is given the exact same WiFi credentials (SSID/password), then you should be able to swap them back and forth to your heart's content.

p.s. Totally disabling the Orbi radios is impossible (for most of us who are not hackers), but the Transmit power level can be reduced to 25% and it will create minimal radio traffic since nothing will be connected to it. (once the WiFi SSID is changed).

Would love to hear how the experiment works out.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7