Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Turned off dhcp, now I can't login to router

MarkLOrbi
Guide

Turned off dhcp, now I can't login to router

I turned off dhcp on my orbi, after power cycling I can't log back in. Orbi is connected to my modem/router and the modem/router says orbi has address of 192.168.1.64. My desktop is connected to modem/router and has address 192.168.1.152. When I try to use orbilogin.net it says I'm not connected to the same network. If I try to connect to the orbi address 192.168.1.64, it times out and says can't be reached.  I tried connecting a computer to lan port on orbi, but that won't work because it can't get an IP address because dhcp is off. I can't connect to the wireless for the same reason. I don't understand why turning off dhcp is preventing me from logging in.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MarkLOrbi
Guide

Re: Turned off dhcp, now I can't login to router

Did factory reset and put it in AP mode. It provides both wireless and guest wireless, working good. Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the Orbi router. If you configure AP mode then look at the main host routers connected clients list to see what the new IP address is for the Orbi in AP mode.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 7
randomousity
Luminary

Factory resetting it will fix the issue, but it's a pain. Since DHCP is off, none of your devices are getting IPs from the router, so you'll have to manually configure a device. Set the IP address, gateway, subnet mask, and the DNS server. With 192.168.1.x, IP address can be whatever you want that isn't used, gateway is the .64 (according to what you said), subnet mask should probably be 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.240.0, and DNS just put .64 again (or 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8).

Once you're able to connect, you can re-enable DHCP on the Orbi, and then change the device you manually configured back to DHCP, too, and everything should work again.

Message 3 of 7
MarkLOrbi
Guide

Thanks, I figured I was headed for a reset. I still don't understand why having dhcp off affects the connection into the internet port on the orbi, since it gets issued a dhcp address by the modem and the address is in the same subnet as my desktop. Anyway, I'll do the reset, then when I'm convinced things work, I'm going to use the orbi in AP mode.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try one of the suggestions regarding your Modem as well. If it has a built in router, you can try to bridge it or use the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi router and use it in Router mode instead of AP mode. It can work in this configuration.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-and-Slow-WiFi-Problems-with-iOS-Devices/m-p/1645981...

@MarkLOrbi wrote:

Thanks, I figured I was headed for a reset. I still don't understand why having dhcp off affects the connection into the internet port on the orbi, since it gets issued a dhcp address by the modem and the address is in the same subnet as my desktop. Anyway, I'll do the reset, then when I'm convinced things work, I'm going to use the orbi in AP mode.

Message 5 of 7
MarkLOrbi
Guide

Did factory reset and put it in AP mode. It provides both wireless and guest wireless, working good. Thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements