Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Turning off 5 g radio

JCWRACING
Follower

Turning off 5 g radio

I am the tribe band Orbi Router and need to be able to turn off the 5 gig radio for installing other smart home devices that only work with 2.4. I'm thinking of switching to another manufacture. It's unacceptable that you cannot turn the radio separately on and off easily like many other manufacturers.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
vajim
Master

try this.....lots of posts on this subject in the search area:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Turning-off-5G-temporarily/m-p/1970777#M102051

In a true Mesh system is this only one SSID.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@JCWRACING wrote:

I am the tri band Orbi Router and need to be able to turn off the 5 gig radio for installing other smart home devices that only work with 2.4. I'm thinking of switching to another manufacture. It's unacceptable that you cannot turn the radio separately on and off easily like many other manufacturers.

As @vajim pointed out, there is a simple procedure for dealing with Internet of Things devices with poorly written smartphone apps: temporarily disabling the 5G SSID.  This has the benefit of not disrupting the connection of all devices that are already connected to the 5G channel.  If the signal stops, then all those devices immediately lose internet and would have to reconnect to the 2.4G channel if their software is smart enough to do so.  Once connected at 2.4G, they may very well remain there even after the 5G channel reappears unless they are power cycled and start the connection process again.  It certaiinly would save a few seconds to be able to kill the 5G radio, but I have found that (a) I don't spend a lot of time connecting IoT devices and (b) the vast majority of them have well-written apps and "just connect".  When one doesn't, I just sigh, run through the process, and get back to other things.

That said, WiFi routers are like dentists.  If one's behavior is unacceptable, there are plenty of others to choose from.  Just change.

Message 3 of 4
aldonsaaleta
Aspirant

you can use online radio on the internet It is the current trend to replace radio devices

Model: AirCard 760S (Telstra)|Mobile Wi-Fi 4G
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7