Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Turning off 5GHz remotely for RBR40

darinbrown
Aspirant

Turning off 5GHz remotely for RBR40

Hi all... i am trying to turn off the 5GHz to connect a 2.4GHz device (well have a friend do it).  I am not there (it's at my holiday home).  I've read that i can do it via advanced settings but I assume to be able to use the advanced settings i need to be local and use orbilogin.net.  

is there a way to do this through the app or remotely?  it's too complicated for my friend.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Turning off 5GHz remotely for RBR40

Remotely possible if you have Remote Management enabled on the RBR and know the WAN IP address that the RBR is using on the WAN port. You'll need a web browser to access the remote side of the RBR. Can't be done using the Orbi app. 

Message 2 of 5
darinbrown
Aspirant

I do have remote management set up and i see an IP address in the router settings in the settings part of the mobile app.

what steps should i follow?

i thought i needed to be on the wifi locally to be able to get to the WAN IP address through a browser

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If your remotely tryin to connect the the Orbi system, you'll need to find the WAN IP address which will be seen on the RBRs web page, under Advanced Tab in the Internet section list or the WAN IP address and port number should be displayed on the remote management section of the RBRs web page. Use this https://WAN IP Address:port#### in a web browser at your location to access the remote RBRs web page. 

If your not at the location physically, have someone log into the RBRs web page to get this information for you. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@darinbrown wrote:

I do have remote management set up and i see an IP address in the router settings in the settings part of the mobile app.

This is a major impediment.  The Orbi Apps "Remote Management" does not provide access to any of the Orbi advanced features.  The Orbi has a total of three provisions for "remote access":

• The App Remote Management feature, which allows you to do anything that the app can do while "remote".
    Alas, manipulating the WiFi SSID broadcast is not something the app can do.
  • The Orbi web interface also has a feature for "Remote Management", which can be activated in the web interface Advanced Tab.
    This opens up a port to the internet (typically 8443).  Once that is done, you can open a web browser remotely and browse to:
    httpS://<Orbi public IP>  (notice the "s")
    Log in with the web user name ("admin") and password, and do anything remotely that could be done locally. (ANYTHING).
    This works fine.  The only irritating part is that once any port on the Orbi is open, hackers immediately begin trying to access the Orbi web interface and the log fills up with "invalid admin login attempt".
  • Set up OpenVPN on the Orbi.  When this feature is enabled, you can open a VPN tunnel into the Orbi from anywhere on almost any sort of client (smartphone, tablet, laptop, PC, Mac, etc.)  Once connected to the Orbi via VPN, you can do anything remotely that you could do locally.  e.g. open any web browser (such as Orbi), telnet to devices, "ping".  You can even "surf the web" and appear to be coming from home rather than your remote location.
    OpenVPN is not trivial to set up.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7