Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two Orbi Network - 1 modem

Kerry_Reynolds
Follower

Two Orbi Network - 1 modem

Hi

I live in a sprawling apartment block of multiple buildings. I have had the Orbi RBR50 router and 2 satellites working very nicely for a couple of years now. My landlord was so impressed with my set up that he has recently gone and bought himself the newer RBK852 router and at least one satellite (maybe more, I'm not sure). Since he installed this, the only way we can get my Orbi router to connect to the internet is as a satellite connected via ethernet to his Orbi router, which, in turn, is connected directly to the modem. When I tried to connect my Orbi router directly to the modem (using a separate ethernet port) my system went down and failed to achieve an internet connection. Is there something he has failed to tweak within his Orbi settings that can be rectified or is my Orbi doomed forevermore to be merely a satellite connected to his primary Orbi? And, if the latter, are there any security issues I should be protecting myself against? Thanks in advance for all and any guidance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Two Orbi Network - 1 modem

Are you piggy backing off this modem? Most modems only support 1 external router behind the modem. Unless it's a gateway modem with a built in router, then you could possibly connect your RBR to this gateway, input the IP address your RBR gets from this gateway into it's DMZ and run your RBR50 as a router. Otherwise, you may have to run your system in AP mode behind his RBR850. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7