Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Two modems, two Orbi routers, one network?

onezerosix141
Aspirant

Two modems, two Orbi routers, one network?

So, recently I had to buy another cable modem to run my phone. Since I have the new modem in the opposite end of the house than my Orbi router & the other modem is setup, I thought it might cool if I can run two modems from two different Orbi routers on one network would that be possible?
Message 1 of 7

@onezerosix141 wrote:
So, recently I had to buy another cable modem to run my phone. Since I have the new modem in the opposite end of the house than my Orbi router & the other modem is setup, I thought it might cool if I can run two modems from two different Orbi routers on one network would that be possible?

without knowing what broadband internet type you have and how its connected it would be impossible to say

Message 2 of 7
onezerosix141
Aspirant

Xfinity is my ISP.
Cable modem -> Orbi Router -> 2 Orbi Satellites

What I want to know is if it's possible to run
Cable modem A / Orbi Router A
Cable modem B / Orbi Router B
to the same 2 Orbi Satellites
Message 3 of 7

simple answer is no

if you run 2 orbi routers they run as two independent networks , each with a sat or sats

Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@onezerosix141 wrote:
Xfinity is my ISP.
Cable modem -> Orbi Router -> 2 Orbi Satellites

What I want to know is if it's possible to run
Cable modem A / Orbi Router A
Cable modem B / Orbi Router B
to the same 2 Orbi Satellites

What you could do is buy a router that supports dual WANs, connect both cable modems to that single router, then connect Orbi to that router in Access Point mode. Then you would have a single network.

Some dual WAN routers will aggregate the bandwidth of the two WAN connections, giving you a single network with faster Internet bandwidth.  One example would be:

http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-LRT224/

Message 5 of 7

the two orbi routers would still not work as a single wifi unit , you would still have 2 transmissions and they would interfere with each other

Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@peteytesting wrote:

the two orbi routers would still not work as a single wifi unit , you would still have 2 transmissions and they would interfere with each other

You are right, of course

I envisioned using only one Orbi "router" plus some number of satellites in AP mode.  I didn't make that clear though.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7