Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two wireless networks networks

Warren123
Follower

Two wireless networks networks

I have two smart televisions in the house. The newer one (like all my other devices) is showing my one wireless network name. 

The older television is showing two the networks names. One with 5g pho and the other with 2.4 ghz

is there a reason for this. Is it because it’s an older television. I thought the unit was suppose to automatically choose the  better ghz?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Two wireless networks networks

@Chuck_M wrote:

Your TV is just showing available networks...  the older TV doesnt realize the same SSID on both networks are the same.  

Correct @Chuck_M , there are devices that look for the MAC address of the network's AP and not only the SSID. So if you have a Router and a Satellite you will see 4 networks two from the router (2.4 and 5 GHz) and two from the satellite (2.4 and 5 GHz) because each of these networks has a unique MAC address. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

It maybe that the older TV FW can show two different SSID names between the two frequencies even though the Orbi is broadcasting just the one SSID, the TV is separating them based on the two frequencies. Have you updated the FW on the TVs? 

@Warren123 wrote:

I have two smart televisions in the house. The newer one (like all my other devices) is showing my one wireless network name. 

The older television is showing two the networks names. One with 5g pho and the other with 2.4 ghz

is there a reason for this. Is it because it’s an older television. I thought the unit was suppose to automatically choose the  better ghz?

Message 2 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

Your TV is just showing available networks...  the older TV doesnt realize the same SSID on both networks are the same.  

When you configure those TVs you will have to pick the appropriate band and SSID, but this isnt anything other than an older Television firmware.  Has zero to do with Orbi.

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

Correct @Chuck_M , there are devices that look for the MAC address of the network's AP and not only the SSID. So if you have a Router and a Satellite you will see 4 networks two from the router (2.4 and 5 GHz) and two from the satellite (2.4 and 5 GHz) because each of these networks has a unique MAC address. 

Message 4 of 5

@Warren123 wrote:

I thought the unit was suppose to automatically choose the  better ghz?

Better signal is more important than "better" GHz. 2.4 GHz has a longer range than 5 GHz. Less likely to fall over if the signal fades.

A TV will work find with 2.4 GHz. It is only recently that they started using 5 GHz.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7