Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tx rate of 802.11ac is not good

jweisbin
Initiate

Tx rate of 802.11ac is not good

I've got a new Orbi single unit, no satellites, connected to a Ubee router (Spectrum, service is 300Mbs/30Mbs). The Ubee has wifi (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz), but I turn them off when testing the Orbi. I've got the orbi configured as an access point. Orbi is RBR50, firmware 11.0.20, radio is channel 11 for 2.4 ghz and 44 for 5 ghz, though I've experimented with other settings with no apparent difference.

When my Mac (brand new Apple Macbook pro with 802.11ac) is connected to the orbi 5ghz, the Tx rate jumps contiunally between 585 Mbs and 700-800 mbs. When connected to the Ubee, it's solid at 878 Mbs.

Why is the Orbi slower than the Ubee, and why the jumping Tx rate? I've tried reducing the power level of the 2.4 ghz radio, no change.

Also, it would be nice if we could have separate SSID names for 5ghz and 2.4 ghz networks, like most other devices have.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Re: Tx rate of 802.11ac is not good

@jweisbin wrote:

When my Mac (brand new Apple Macbook pro with 802.11ac) is connected to the orbi 5ghz, the Tx rate jumps contiunally between 585 Mbs and 700-800 mbs. When connected to the Ubee, it's solid at 878 Mbs.

Why is the Orbi slower than the Ubee, and why the jumping Tx rate? I've tried reducing the power level of the 2.4 ghz radio, no change.

Also, it would be nice if we could have separate SSID names for 5ghz and 2.4 ghz networks, like most other devices have.

the orbi is max 5 gig sync rate of 867M as its 2 x 2 , so depending on how far you are away it will be 867M or less 

not sure on the Ubee wifi specs but if your laptop is syncing at 878 Mbs.then the Ubee must be 1300M max sync and 3 x 3 

if the Ubee is only syncing at 878M you must be some distance away from it 

-----------------

the other issue is orbi is not like other routers or devices you have , its designed for whole home automated wifi and as such is designed to both ap steer and band steer of its own accord , if you ran it as 2 separate transmissions you would lose any benefit that orbi gives in this automated process and go back to poor roaming between transmissions and bands 

Message 2 of 4
jweisbin
Initiate

Thanks for the info. Under Advanced settings I found these:

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices

Enable MU-MIMO

Any advantages to either of these settings?

Message 3 of 4

sure , as they will improve range , but some orbi's have issues with these two atm so its why they are disabled , enable them and see if it help or make it worse 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7