Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: U-Verse, Orbi and CUJO

Fscottwill
Guide

U-Verse, Orbi and CUJO

I currently have a U-Verse gateway in “bridge” mode with my Orbi(s) doing all the routing.

I just ordered a CUJO firewall. Did I mess up?

What is the right way to combine these three devices into one working network?

It seems like this may be a huge headache.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
aani75
Apprentice

Config 1 is my configuration that is working great: ( I have to inject a EdgeRouter X in the middle to make it work)

Config 1:

Connect U-Verse to EdgeRouter X eth0 ($35 from Amazon) configured as WLAN+1LAN

Connect Cujo Bottom port to EdgeRouter X eth1

Connect Cujo upper port to ORBI WAN

Open Cujo App and change mode to BRIDGE mode (Not DHCP)

Change ORBI to AP Mode

Now All traffic will go through CUJO and all routing will be done through EdgeRouter X (which is think is superior in routing than ORBI)

Just beware, DO NOT USE EDGEROUTER OTHER PORTS. all the other devices that are connected to remaining of the Edgerouter X ports will not be protected by CUJO. Keep in mind whatever connected to CUJO upper port in BRIDGE mode are protected including all sub devices and chain of switches e.g everything will be protected in the following config: CUJO Upper Port connected to Switch 1 <-> Switch 2 <-> Switch 3 <-> Router X <-> switch 4 ....... n

Config 2: 

You could totally avoid edgerouter X enabling DHCP mode in CUJO and the configuration would be:

Connect U-Verse to ORBI WAN

Change ORBI to AP Mode

Connect CUJO Bottom Port to ORBI LAN Port

Enable DHCP Mode in CUJO

The disadvantage of config 2 is that you have very limited options for port forwarding and all the advance network configuration. CUJO has very limited capability to open port in DHCP mode. If you can live with that, Config 2 would be your best bet.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 10

All Replies
aani75
Apprentice

Config 1 is my configuration that is working great: ( I have to inject a EdgeRouter X in the middle to make it work)

Config 1:

Connect U-Verse to EdgeRouter X eth0 ($35 from Amazon) configured as WLAN+1LAN

Connect Cujo Bottom port to EdgeRouter X eth1

Connect Cujo upper port to ORBI WAN

Open Cujo App and change mode to BRIDGE mode (Not DHCP)

Change ORBI to AP Mode

Now All traffic will go through CUJO and all routing will be done through EdgeRouter X (which is think is superior in routing than ORBI)

Just beware, DO NOT USE EDGEROUTER OTHER PORTS. all the other devices that are connected to remaining of the Edgerouter X ports will not be protected by CUJO. Keep in mind whatever connected to CUJO upper port in BRIDGE mode are protected including all sub devices and chain of switches e.g everything will be protected in the following config: CUJO Upper Port connected to Switch 1 <-> Switch 2 <-> Switch 3 <-> Router X <-> switch 4 ....... n

Config 2: 

You could totally avoid edgerouter X enabling DHCP mode in CUJO and the configuration would be:

Connect U-Verse to ORBI WAN

Change ORBI to AP Mode

Connect CUJO Bottom Port to ORBI LAN Port

Enable DHCP Mode in CUJO

The disadvantage of config 2 is that you have very limited options for port forwarding and all the advance network configuration. CUJO has very limited capability to open port in DHCP mode. If you can live with that, Config 2 would be your best bet.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 10
Fscottwill
Guide

Thank you very much!

I am still trying to wrap my head around this whole thing.

Would it be possible to put the cujo in bridge mode and put it between the uverse and the orbi?
Message 3 of 10
Fscottwill
Guide

Just ordered the edgerouter x
Message 4 of 10
aani75
Apprentice

Yes it is possible, but I would still suggest to get EdgeRouter X for full customization capability and more capable enterprise level routing platform. 

Message 5 of 10
Fscottwill
Guide

Another thought

Uverse bridged to cujo bridged to er-x dhcp to orbi AP Mode

Would that work?
Message 6 of 10
aani75
Apprentice

yes thats the config 1.

Message 7 of 10
Fscottwill
Guide

ok. I am going to sound like a total noob.

I have the edgerouter x and unboxed. I have spent way to long trying to set it up with no luck.

I have the cujo still unboxed.

about ready to give up. at least for the night. I wanted to mimic your config but I have failed at the first step.....

Message 8 of 10
Fscottwill
Guide

ok took a breath and got away for a sec.

Edgerouter now up and running.

orbi set to ap attached to edge router

Message 9 of 10
Fscottwill
Guide

I used your config 1 and it works perfectly.

Thank you very much

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7