Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UPnP issue when using ORBI and a Nighthawk hotspot

DCMiller
Aspirant

UPnP issue when using ORBI and a Nighthawk hotspot

So I believe that I am dealing with a rather unique circumstance. I am currently using a NETGEAR Nighthawk mobile hotspot (MR1100) in conjunction with an Orbi system. Here are the specifications of the Orbi

ardware Version    RBR50  

Firmware Version    V2.3.5.30  

GUI Language Version    V1.0.0.360  

Operation Mode    AP

I just recently switched the Orbi to AP mode due to a double NAT issue that was causing issues when browsing or streaming. I am using the Nighthawk with a AT&T tablet plan with unlimited data with this. (I know its not a perfect set up, but rural american really needs some internet options that don't have me jumping through loops)

There is a setting in the Orbi when in router mode to enable UPnP but once in AP mode it is unavailible. I have tried turing it on and returning the Orbi to AP mode but to no avail. 

I am not sure exactly what other information to include but I am happy to provide all I can.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: UPnP issue when using ORBI and a Nighthawk hotspot

When in AP mode, there are various features like uPnP which are disabled. The uPnP function at this time would come from the main host router upstream from the Orbi. Two uPnP features on two different routers won't work, thus reason of disabling it while in AP mode. Did you try the RBR in router mode using the main host routers DMZ? 

Message 2 of 14
DCMiller
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt response.

Bare with me, I am currently getting as familiar as I can with networking and I'd rather not waste all of your time asking questions that google can answer.

My understanding is the DMZ configuration would be forwarding the responsibility of acting as a router to the Orbi. For this I will need to access the current wireless hotspot through a browser. Just for clarification, will I need to save the IP address of the Orbi, disconnect it, reconnect to the Nighthawk LTE hotspot as a stand alone connection, log into the network settings using its IP and then set the DMZ parameters to forward to the Orbi's IP then reactivate the Orbi to operate in router mode?

I know those may seem like simple questions but I just want to make sure I have a decent grasp on exactly what I should be doing.

Also, to view the IP address of the Nighthawk LTE hotspot, do I need to do anything in particular? 

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Not that I know of. Refer to the hot spots user manual for it's web page access information and configuration. 

Message 4 of 14
DCMiller
Aspirant

Alright, I will give it a shot in a moment. I will read up on the manuals before I go ahead with this. I will reply back once I get a chance to try this change.

Again, I appreciate the response and your helpfulness.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
DCMiller
Aspirant

So I have gone through and applied the changes and now it is back to saying there is a double NAT detected. 

DMZ Settings
Orbi information

Interestingly enough, when I accessed the router (Nighthawk LTE hotspot) remotely there was a UPnP option there that was switched on, I was still getting the Strict NAT type so I went ahead and tried the DMZ forwarding and now it is giving that double NAT issue.

So to summarize

• DMZ forwarding is giving a double NAT error. (I could have easily done this wrong to be honest)

• There is a UPnP setting on the Nighthawk that was already on when I was getting a strict NAT type

Leaving the Orbi in router mode with the Nighthawk on normally gives a double NAT error

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the IP address for the Orbi RBR 10.0.0.1? 

Double NAT will be a default status since you still have two routers on line at the same time. 

DMZ should resolve NAT issues seen on the ORbi and connected devices. 

Probably for ease of use, maybe AP mode on the Orbi systems will be best...

Message 8 of 14
DCMiller
Aspirant

This is all the information I have on the Orbi

I have tried using the router IP and the Wireless IP

Now when I am inputting a new IP for the DMZ forwarding I am getting This error indidcating it cant find the router. Is there a setting on the Orbi that would enable it to be a DMZ host that I am missing?

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Look on the hotspot routers connected clients list. You should see the RBR listed here. Whats the IP address seen here? This IP address should be the one used in the hot spots DMZ. 

Message 10 of 14
DCMiller
Aspirant

So some progress.

I managed to get the hotspot to locate the Orbi. I had to change from a dynamic to a static IP address. I have a feeling this was preventing the Nighthawk from establishing a connection? Just a guess.

So at this point I have the Nighthawk locating the Orbi and it says "Changes applied" instead of being unable to locate it. Now the issue still stands that there is a Double NAT detected. I am not really sure why this would be the case if the hotspot did indeed apply the changes.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The status may be just that it's reporting double NAT as this maybe normal behavior when having two routers on the same line. Something that can't be changed. 

Message 12 of 14
DCMiller
Aspirant

Is there anyway to specifically open ports to an Open NAT type so lets say UPnP is disabled but I want NAT restrictions to remove themself manually instead of depending on the automatic process UPnP does?

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If your using the DMZ on the host router and the orbi is in router mode, you can disable uPnP on the RBR then manually setup Port Forwarding rules. 

If you use the RBR in AP mode, then upnp won't be a factor on the Orbi as uPnp will be handled by the host router. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7