Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

URGENT - Forces auto-update to v2.7.3.22 caused corrupt NVRAM parameters

SLK-Purdue
Luminary

URGENT - Forces auto-update to v2.7.3.22 caused corrupt NVRAM parameters

At 10pm on Friday, 7/30, I was running a nice stable v2.5.1.16 Orbi config with a main router and 3 satellites that had been up for months.   I woke up on 7/31 to a forced auto-update to v2.7.3.22 with missing features and, most importantly, some changed parameters!!

First, I am VERY sure of the scenario here.   I dump my nvram config nightly.  Everything was fine on Friday night.   Saturday's surprise update took away the telnet option so debugging with very difficult.   (put the telnet option back!)  I am able to dump the nvram config via the Web UI on v2.7.3.22.  When I decode that file, a block of non-ASCII "junk" is in the middle of nvram and the file size is about 800 bytes larger than normal.

Netgear can not just cause a service interrupt any time they want with a surprise auto-update that results in a corrupted configuration!   This is completely unacceptable.  Orbi is mission critical infrastructure.  Stop this now!  No more forced auto-updates, PLEASE.

Now I have to spend hours reloading 4 devices causing a complete service interruption and consuming time I don't have.  Furtunately, I have nvram backups and a spare Orbi device but, even with this, the network will be down during this process.   Again, THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

Netgear - if you listen to your "community", you will take action immediately to suspend forced updates.   Microsoft learned this long ago (the hard way).  It is time Netgear learned it too.   STOP FORCED AUTO-UPDATED.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: URGENT - Forces auto-update to v2.7.3.22 caused corrupt NVRAM parameters

Every morning, I look to see if disaster has struck.  My own Orbi is not so much of a concern as I have ample time to fuss with it.

The Orbi installed 3,000 miles away that I have deliberately kept on 2.3.5.0 has me waiting for "the shoe to drop."

Will it silently upgrade with no issues?

Will the upgrade preserve my DDNS and OpenVPN access to it?

What's my plan when they call and say, "Hey. Our WiFi isn't working any more."

Message 2 of 4
Jeff_Akbar
Aspirant

I'm suffering with the same problem, compounded by 2 satellites that routinely have problems with any updates. After taking everything apart, resetting each device sequentially, re-pairing devices -- I finally have router and both satellites on the same new firmware. Guess what? they don't work. The router will connect to one satellite for a while, then the satellite will drop off. I'll have good internet service near the main router for a while, then I will get the no internet connection error, my ring cameras will drop off, and why? who knows? Even if I follow Furry's advice, reset everything and stand on my head, it still is random as to whether anything will work properly. Past experience has demonstrated that at best this will settle down and work over a few days. At worst -- I'll be shopping for a new system, as my work depends on a stable connection. It's hard to put nto words how extraordinarily frustrating this is.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
jdfsed3e33
Aspirant

I am looking to do something similar, but my 3-D footwear preserve flickering due to the fact the foot tracking from the template isn't superb. Do you recognize any way to enhance or educate the machine gaining knowledge about shoes and guide for blouse boots of or download a higher version to save you flickering?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7