Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USING orbi as add on to existing wifi network

jpn369
Aspirant

USING orbi as add on to existing wifi network

I want to add Orbi to my existing wifi modem/router without having to switch off the wifi on that router (as recomended when chagin over to AP mode). Is this possible? Will the Orbi then become an extension to my existing wifi?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Re: USING orbi as add on to existing wifi network

Hi,

Sounds like if you add a new Orbi system to your exisiting WiFi router then it will need to be in AP mode and will need to be a different SSID; two SSIDs in total?  I would though recommend that you turn off the SSID on your router and move it to the Orbi system and you will then only need to have one SSID?

CheerZ

Message 2 of 6
jpn369
Aspirant

Excuse my ignorance but I have a couple of questions.

Are you saying switch off the SSID on router and change the Orbi SSID to the routers original name?
Also if I switch off the SSID on the router how does it know what to call itself when I want to connect to that router?
Message 3 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@jpn369 wrote:
Are you saying switch off the SSID on router and change the Orbi SSID to the routers original name?
Also if I switch off the SSID on the router how does it know what to call itself when I want to connect to that router?

You should be able to keep the existing router's SSID, and use the same SSID in Orbi, provided the following:

1. Use different radio channels in the existing router than those used in Orbi for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Set both the existing router and Orbi to use fixed different channels, not auto.
  2. Since Orbi will be in AP mode, both Orbi and the existing router will be using the same underlying network, provided by the existing router.

Provided the above is taken into consideration, roaming between Orbi and the existing router using the same SSID should be seamless and invisible to the user and the applications.

Message 4 of 6
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

To keep things simple I would configure the same WiFi Network(SSID) on the ORBI and then turn off WiFi on your router.  All your devices should then connect to the ORBI without issue?

You should still be able to contact the router via the WiFi on ORBI as they share the same network?

CheerZ

Message 5 of 6
jpn369
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help here.

I need the extra WiFi coverage the other router gives me otherwise I would just turn it’s WiFi off.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7