Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to Change DNS

ygarti
Aspirant

Unable to Change DNS

Hi All,

i would like to change my dns to a difrent dns (i don't want the orbi to be my dns server)

but no matter what i am doing i am always getting dns server = 10.0.0.1 (my orbi)

but when i am looking in the dns under internet port i see that my dns is 1.1.1.1 (cloudfire dns)

but if i am looking in the client side i still see 10.0.0.1 and i have no idea how to change it

i am prety sure it's a FW bug and i don't know how to bypass it ( i would like to use pihole and i can;t becuse of that)

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Here's detailed instructions for a R7000. I know you have orbi but the gui is the same so the picture walk through is still valid. 

have you tried this route?

https://setuprouter.com/router/netgear/nighthawk-r7000/dns.htm

Message 2 of 7
ygarti
Aspirant

i have done that

i found this on the internet

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/8lxfci/orbi_intercepts_dns/

i am guessing that they do that to sell the data this is why it's not posibble to realy change the dns server

Shame on you netgear SHAME!!!!!

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@ygarti wrote:

i am prety sure it's a FW bug and i don't know how to bypass it ( i would like to use pihole and i can;t becuse of that)

I`m pretty sure it's not a bug - much more lack of understanding on how a NAT router works.

@ygarti wrote:

but when i am looking in the dns under internet port i see that my dns is 1.1.1.1 (cloudfire dns)

The router can be configured to run it's queries either to the ISP supplied or custom supplied DNS IP addresses - that's what you can configure on the Internet settings. Unless you want to point the router DNS to a LAN IP address - the Netgear routers don't allow this why ever - that's OK in general.

@ygarti wrote:

but no matter what i am doing i am always getting dns server = 10.0.0.1 (my orbi)

but if i am looking in the client side i still see 10.0.0.1 and i have no idea how to change it

Your "getting" and "looking" seems to be based on what the router DHCP server does provide along with the host IP config. The Netgear routers automatically supply the router LAN IP address. This is done because of the Netgear routers run a DNS relay, implemented by a (poorly configured, very cheepo configured) dnsmasq. Here again, the Netgear consumer routers don't have an option to change this configuration. In Netgear's heads, consumers don't run DNS local servers, don't need local DNS services, ... 

The only workaround would be to run DHCP server _and_ DNS server - disabling the DHCP server should be possible on Orbi, it certainly is on the Nighthawk routers.

PS. People deploying Pi-hole and the likes must be aware that they are destroying the business model for many otherwise "free" services - hosting, bandwidth, systems maintenance, support, and even providing content does cost money - without income from ads, this is the end for many services.

Message 4 of 7
ygarti
Aspirant

first thank you for you answer and your time

1. i don't think it's a bug i think they are doing it on purpose so they can see my dns traffic and sell it (there isn't realy any other reason to do it let along not giving the option to disable it).

2. i know i can use a diffrent DHCP server but i don't want to do i don't understand why this basic option is not exist in this very expensive router.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@ygarti wrote:

1. i don't think it's a bug i think they are doing it on purpose so they can see my dns traffic and sell it (there isn't realy any other reason to do it let along not giving the option to disable it).

2. i know i can use a diffrent DHCP server but i don't want to do i don't understand why this basic option is not exist in this very expensive router.

So, the customer can decide to have the Orbi DNS Relay point to the DNS servers that the Orbi receives from the ISP via DHCP, or the customer can input the IP address of any DNS servers in the world.  The customer can bypass the DNS Relay by assigning a static IP to any particular devices and defining DNS server IP's on that device.  The customer can also put the Orbi in AP mode and insert any router they want ahead of it, with any sort of DNS processing capability.

While I think the programming is nearly trivial, having an option to eliminate the DNS Relay is not likely to be a high priority on a "comsumer product."

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

..., or the customer can input the IP address of any DNS servers in the world. 

Any in the world - except of the (most obvious) ones on the same LAN 8-)

@CrimpOn wrote:

While I think the programming is nearly trivial, having an option to eliminate the DNS Relay is not likely to be a high priority on a "comsumer product."

The nice dnsmasq code could be used for much more. The competition does offer e.g. a local DNS domain, automatically propagated from the DHCP hostnames, or manually entered A, AAAA, PTR, ...  adding up to three IPs (truely where ever) to be assigned by the DHCP, ... 

All features available for FREE - just a very minimalistic change in the Netgear Nighthawk router specification (which is stuck in the early 1990ties .... where the first ZyNOS based Netgear router ever certainly had this config option btw.) would be required.

I can understand that slightly advanced users are disappointed here.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7