Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Connect on Mac Devices

HunterK
Tutor

Unable to Connect on Mac Devices

We have been loving the Orbi with very few issues. All of a sudden today we could not connect to the internet with any mac computer. All of our mobile devices worked fine as well as a windows laptop. Our mac devices would not connect though. I have tried putting the router back down a firmware level and everything, we really need this to work and I don't know what else to do.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
HunterK
Tutor

Re: Unable to Connect on Mac Devices

Okay so we kind of fixed it. From what I could find there was an update that went out a few days ago and I think that was the culprit. Unfortunately you can't un-update so the fix is not that easy. I called tech support and we got it to a point where it mostly works, not as flawlessly but it does. I don't know how personalized the fix is but it requires a good bit of stuff. All of these changes were done on the orbilogin.com bit.

The first thing we changed (that didn't end up working) was under Basic->wireless settings->something to do with DSN we changed it from getting it automatically to a specified set of numbers that went like this:
I don't know how much of this was solely for my router but that's what we did.

The next thing was under Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings go to the last two options and have those checked. I can't remember what the settings were called and I am unable to get there for a few days because I'm out of town so if somebody else has it that would help.

Lastly in the same area we went to the 5.0 ghz settings and unchecked something to do with wifi and radio waves or something that effectively turned off the 5.0 ghz band, which made the whole thing work better.

Keep in mind at this point you should restart your router and computers so that everything takes effect and it should work.

I would recommend just calling tech support because I'm not very helpful in explaining it, but this is what worked for me and you can try that.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
Ceraphs
Initiate

We are having the exact same problem, everything (17 wired and wireless devices) is working flawlessly except my MacBook Air. It connects to network but no internet activity. Love the system but will return it if we can't use the main work computer

Message 2 of 11
HunterK
Tutor

I can't seem to even downgrade the update. I get the previous file and all that and go through the whole process and it shows that its on the previous version, and then it automatically updates itself within 5 minutes, not even long enough to test to see if it worked or not. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with that too, I really need any ideas that anybody has because these are the main computers and they have to work.

Message 3 of 11
rkshook
Tutor

I am having the exact same issue...would love an answer to the question. Otherwise...its looks like a return will be hapenning soon. 

Message 4 of 11
HunterK
Tutor

Okay so we kind of fixed it. From what I could find there was an update that went out a few days ago and I think that was the culprit. Unfortunately you can't un-update so the fix is not that easy. I called tech support and we got it to a point where it mostly works, not as flawlessly but it does. I don't know how personalized the fix is but it requires a good bit of stuff. All of these changes were done on the orbilogin.com bit.

The first thing we changed (that didn't end up working) was under Basic->wireless settings->something to do with DSN we changed it from getting it automatically to a specified set of numbers that went like this:
I don't know how much of this was solely for my router but that's what we did.

The next thing was under Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings go to the last two options and have those checked. I can't remember what the settings were called and I am unable to get there for a few days because I'm out of town so if somebody else has it that would help.

Lastly in the same area we went to the 5.0 ghz settings and unchecked something to do with wifi and radio waves or something that effectively turned off the 5.0 ghz band, which made the whole thing work better.

Keep in mind at this point you should restart your router and computers so that everything takes effect and it should work.

I would recommend just calling tech support because I'm not very helpful in explaining it, but this is what worked for me and you can try that.
Message 5 of 11
rkshook
Tutor

Do you know Tech Suports Number? I can't find it anywhere...so frustrating. 

Message 6 of 11
Markkram
Guide

I'm having the same issue in my iPad - no connectivity on third floor. That must mean that main router is working for me (floors 1 and 2) but firmware update messed up rbk30 satellite. Like the rest of you, system worked flawlessly until recently firmware update. I'm going back to Amazon and update my review so others are aware of the problem.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 7 of 11
JLG1965
Guide

I am having the same issue with 2 4th generation Apple TVs. Started a few days ago. I spent the day yesterday troublesooting to no avail. Very irritating. 

Message 8 of 11
rkshook
Tutor

Called Tech Support and they were able to fix the problem. Had to do with the new update and configuration. Its nice that it was a fixable issue because the product works great. 

Message 9 of 11
JLG1965
Guide

Thanks. I tried last night. I spent 27 minutes on hold. I will try again when I have the day off. 

Message 10 of 11
HunterK
Tutor

So the tech support fix is kind of holding, one issue is that the satelites don't seem to work off of the fix, if close enough to the router mac devices mostly work but the one that are off of a satelite do not.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7