Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Connect to MS Exchange Server connected on home mesh network RBR40

ChrisJohnsonMM
Aspirant

Unable to Connect to MS Exchange Server connected on home mesh network RBR40

I have a user within our enterprise working from home who is unable to use the desktop version of Outlook as it will not connect to the Exchange Server to send and recieve but can use the web portal Outlook fine. Often finds that calls in MS Teams are affected too but this is intermittant.

Our laptops are set up with Direct Access for remote connection to the domain but have confrimed this is not the issue as I have tested it on an external line in our office and reinstated the remote connect and further tested. The user has even used it at a family member's address without any issue so the issues seems to be with their network setup.

We use ZScaler but I have already tried turning the sevice off and testing the connection without so doesn't appear to be this blocking.

Users set up is Netgear router to which he has an ORBI RBR40 connected to and then running a network cable from the ORBI direct to his laptop. 

Chris 

Message 1 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unable to Connect to MS Exchange Server connected on home mesh network RBR40

I use the desktop Outlook on two computers connected to my Orbi with no problems. (No Teams for me.)

Are there really two Netgear routers: "router" and Orbi RBR40? That might create a "Double NAT" situation which interferes with some specific applications: https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

Can the laptop be connected directly to the first router?

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unable to Connect to MS Exchange Server connected on home mesh network RBR40

If the RBR is in router mode behind the 1st router, try using the DMZ on the 1st router for the RBR. 

Or try AP mode on the RBR. 

@ChrisJohnsonMM wrote:

I have a user within our enterprise working from home who is unable to use the desktop version of Outlook as it will not connect to the Exchange Server to send and recieve but can use the web portal Outlook fine. Often finds that calls in MS Teams are affected too but this is intermittant.

Our laptops are set up with Direct Access for remote connection to the domain but have confrimed this is not the issue as I have tested it on an external line in our office and reinstated the remote connect and further tested. The user has even used it at a family member's address without any issue so the issues seems to be with their network setup.

We use ZScaler but I have already tried turning the sevice off and testing the connection without so doesn't appear to be this blocking.

Users set up is Netgear router to which he has an ORBI RBR40 connected to and then running a network cable from the ORBI direct to his laptop. 

Chris 

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If the RBR is in router mode behind the 1st router, try using the DMZ on the 1st router for the RBR. 

Or try AP mode on the RBR. 

@ChrisJohnsonMM wrote:

Chris 

I would favor trying AP mode first over DMZ. The bigger issue is trying to help someone remotely who may have little technical skill. If Double NAT is causing the problem, then connecting the laptop directly to the ISP router woud test that hypotnesis and not require any "fooling around."  For example, I would not be surprised if the user set up the Orbi using the "app" and has never accessed the web interface.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep, AP modes is always the easiest. 

Message 5 of 12
ChrisJohnsonMM
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply. Can now confirm that there isn't 2 routers, only a modem that the ORBI RBR40 is connected to and the ORBI is set to router mode. Services like Sharepoint seem to be intermitant whether you can actually reach a page or not (often not) and he still cannot connect to the MS exchange server to recieve emails in the Outlook desktop client but can access the 365 web portal without any issues. No port forwarding settings are applied and nothing is blocked within the settings as far as I can see. Have even tried setting up the ORBI from scratch on his behalf and still the same issue. Have sent him a diferent PC to test and still the same issue and he had over the xmas period been able to test on a different network and all works fine from there. Could it be by default the ORBI blocks Zscaler services? Can't seem to see this reflected in logs but just a thought 

Message 6 of 12
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yep, AP modes is always the easiest. 

perhaps....however if it were that easy users wouldn't be posting in here

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You might try the PC in the Orbis DMZ and see if this does anything to change something. Orbi wouldnt' or should not be blocking anything unless there is something misconfigured or something in front of Orbi. 

Is Armor or Circle enabled by chance? 

@ChrisJohnsonMM wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. Can now confirm that there isn't 2 routers, only a modem that the ORBI RBR40 is connected to and the ORBI is set to router mode. Services like Sharepoint seem to be intermitant whether you can actually reach a page or not (often not) and he still cannot connect to the MS exchange server to recieve emails in the Outlook desktop client but can access the 365 web portal without any issues. No port forwarding settings are applied and nothing is blocked within the settings as far as I can see. Have even tried setting up the ORBI from scratch on his behalf and still the same issue. Have sent him a diferent PC to test and still the same issue and he had over the xmas period been able to test on a different network and all works fine from there. Could it be by default the ORBI blocks Zscaler services? Can't seem to see this reflected in logs but just a thought 

Message 8 of 12
ChrisJohnsonMM
Aspirant

ISP is Plusnet and he is using a Netgear VDSL DM200 Modem before connecting to the ORBI. Will try adding PC to DMZ and update here when I can.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The DM200 has a built in router already FYI. Be sure this modem is fully bridged or use its DMZ for the RBR.

@ChrisJohnsonMM wrote:

ISP is Plusnet and he is using a Netgear VDSL DM200 Modem before connecting to the ORBI. Will try adding PC to DMZ and update here when I can.

Message 10 of 12
tofmnet
Aspirant

Anyone having any luck resolving this issue.  I am having the same issue with my Nighthack R7800 Modem / Router.  I can connect to our company's Enrteprize server from anywhere on the planet, just not at home on a brand new modem / router.  This is hightly frustrating.  Initially it connects, but after a ffew minutes the e-mails hang in the outbox.  I have to disconnect from the network and reconnect and then hit send agian.  Whatever is in the outbox will send.  New e-mails will download.  I can work again until the problem repeats.

I have worked with my ISP.  Our IT staff has checked their end.  Netgear tech support is in the dark and no help,  Still have an open ticket on this and Teir 2 Tech support is supposidly working on it.  From other conversation on Netgear Community, this appears to be happening on multiple platforms and multiple routers, but the common thread appears to be the Enterprise server.

My wife also uses Outlook, but her e-mails are gmail based and she does not have not problem.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 11 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@ChrisJohnsonMM wrote:

Could it be by default the ORBI blocks Zscaler services? Can't seem to see this reflected in logs but just a thought 

This is zScaler, correct: https://www.zscaler.com/products/zscaler-client-connector 

Does Zscaler have a "test mode" of some sort where users can access something in the Zscaler cloud besides the corporate resource?

Wonder what DNS servers this Orbi (and the DM200) are using?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7