Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Login to ORBI RBR20

bbrener
Aspirant

Unable to Login to ORBI RBR20

I am having peculiar problems logging in. The ORBI suddenly does not accept my valid Login credentials. I tried to do a password reset but it told me my security answers were invalid!! (I do know where I was born). Tried for 2 hours including power resets but to no avail. 

So I decided to do a hard reset. I followed instructions and used the ORBI app on my iphone. There was a pulsing white light but the Iphone could not find an ORBI wifi network to connect to. So I could not set it up and was unable to use the internet. When I tried to connect from the PC I used admin/password as it had been reset and that failed  too! Very p'o'd!

I powered everything off and on and lo and behold the ORBI connected to the network and seemed to have restored my original setup even though I had  definitely reset it for 30 seconds and seeing the power light flashing amber.

So after 3 hours I am working again and still unable to login to the ORBI!!
Help Please!

Brian

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
bbrener
Aspirant

Re: Unable to Login to ORBI RBR20

I would add that I logged in a week ago and upgraded to the lastest software. After this upgrade it is not accepting a login with my valid credentials. 

Message 2 of 8
bbrener
Aspirant

Now I am even more puzzled and frustrated. I reset the Orbi to factory. I then set it up from the IOS Orbi app with no apparent issues. It wanted the router username and password and I used admin/password without issue and everything got set up and all devices attached. I set up new security questions. 

I then went to my browser and logged in to 192.168.1.1 and admin/password failed. I then used the  orbi serial number and it asked me the new security questions so it could get to the Orbi and then rejected my answers again!!

So I am unable to login and set up static IPS's and other things only the browser interface can do. I logged in a week ago and downloaded new firmware (why would I do that???) and now I cant get in. Resetting it is not the solution so what else can I do?

Help!!

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 4 of 8
bbrener
Aspirant

OK, so I updated my post above. I did all that. I reset the router. I used the IOS app to set up the new (reset router). The setup went fine and I logged in to the router from the IOS app with admin/password whch is written on the router. It was all successfully set up and working. Then I went to a browser to login and it failed with invalid credentials which had worked fine from IOS. I tried to recover it using the serial number and the security questions which I had just entered failed as being invalid. I cannot login from a browser!!

I am an expert and so the browsers had cache and hostory deleted. I used Chrome and Edge and both failed. It simply will not accept a login from browser on my PC even thouh everything is correct. Another factory reset will liely give the same problem. 

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I see a consistent pattern of using the f**ing "app" to set up the Orbi.

Would like to offer suggestions, but I have never set up an Orbi using the app.  As @FURRYe38 suggested, I would do a Factory Reset, connect a computer to the Orbi and use the Orbi web interface to configure it.

Message 6 of 8
fmalloy
Luminary

I know you're trying to help but these replies are always puzzling - if the app isn't reliable to setup a router, then Netgear should either fix the app, or if they cannot/will not, *REMOVE* the functionality from the app!

It's like saying sorry, the brakes on this car don't work, please use the handbrake lever to stop.

No excuses, sorry!

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I probably should not post when tired.  How about this:

The "app" absolutely works. Thousands of customers use it every day to set up an Orbi.  However, when YOU use the app,  you consistently do something inappropriate which causes problems.  Maybe someone sitting beside you would say, "no. not that."

Because people on the forum cannot observe directly, no one has yet come up with an answer.

Rather than keep running into the same wall over and over, my choice would be to use the web interface.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7