Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Select Get Dynamic IP and Specify DNS Servers

HegsAndBacon
Aspirant

Unable to Select Get Dynamic IP and Specify DNS Servers

Edit: I did not realize this was posted in the Orbi section of this site. Please disregard. I will post in another forum.

My router recently updated to Firmware Version V1.0.3.92, which added Smart Parental Controls. I do not want to use the smart parental controls, but I initially activated them on my router after the firmware update. I have disabled them, but activating them seems to have made it so I am unable to select a Dynamic IP from ISP and specify a non-ISP DNS. Essentially, when I select “Get Dynamically from ISP” for IP, the option to specify a DNS server is grayed out. If I choose “Use Static IP” I can then enter my own DNS. Why is this no longer supported? How do I fix this? My ISP changes IPs frequently so a static IP is not acceptable. I have read other discussion posts where the solution was to disable Circle, but I do not have Circle, and the Smart Parental Controls are disabled. Any ideas?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unable to Select Get Dynamic IP and Specify DNS Servers

@HegsAndBacon wrote:

My router recently updated to Firmware Version V1.0.3.92, which added Smart Parental Controls. I do not want to use the smart parental controls, but I initially activated them on my router after the firmware update. I have disabled them, but activating them seems to have made it so I am unable to select a Dynamic IP from ISP and specify a non-ISP DNS. Essentially, when I select “Get Dynamically from ISP” for IP, the option to specify a DNS server is grayed out. If I choose “Use Static IP” I can then enter my own DNS. Why is this no longer supported? How do I fix this? My ISP changes IPs frequently so a static IP is not acceptable. I have read other discussion posts where the solution was to disable Circle, but I do not have Circle, and the Smart Parental Controls are disabled. Any ideas?

That screen shot was from the Orbi "app".  Does the Orbi web interface also show Parental Controls as disabled?

http://orbilogin.net

If the IP is temporarily set to static and DNS servers are set. What happens if you open the Internet menu a second time and select "Get Dynamically from ISP" for the internet address?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif... 

The last resort seems to be to do a Factory Reset on the router to wipe out everything and then set it up again.

The AX products are significantly different than the original Orbi routers which are the focus of this community forum.  If you post the question in the forum for the Nighthawk AX systems, maybe someone who watches that forum will have a solution.

Message 2 of 3
HegsAndBacon
Aspirant

Re: Unable to Select Get Dynamic IP and Specify DNS Servers

I went ahead and did a factory reset and it fixed it. I am able to select Dynamic IP and choose a DNS server again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7