Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to access Orbi Satellite via Web Browser

tucsontico
Virtuoso

Unable to access Orbi Satellite via Web Browser

I recently installed the ORBI (with one satellite) in place of a R7000 Nighthawk. I am running all on a Mac OS environment and the latest ORBI firmware (V1.0.4.34) with essentially minor glitches. However, I am unable to view the sattellite via a web browser. I made DHCP reservations for all my hardwire, wireless devices (4 wired and 10 wireless) and the ORBI satellite (192.168.1.2). The devices connected to the satellite do not even show up in the "Attached Devices" list! I've tried three different web browsers but get the same result. I've rebooted, power cycled and reloadede firmware but still the same situation.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
tucsontico
Virtuoso

After a lot of power cycles, reboots, etc. I finally may have discovered the problem! I tried simply moving the satellite a little closer to the router. Guess what? Miraculously, I began to "see" the satellite webpage (192.168.1.2) and was able to view devices attached to the satellite!

I only moved the satellite about 15 feet closer and let it re-connect to the router. I am now able to view all the information about the satellite via it's web page. However, the WiFi signal in an area I originally purchased the ORBI to cover is very weak.Smiley Sad The satellite originally had a "blue" light in the first location but I'll bet it went "amber" soemtime after I installed it. It now has a solid "blue" connection and appears to be working.

A note for NETGEAR: please fix the firmware so even in an "Amber" connection state the satellite will respond to queries from the web-based GUI.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
loomis1975
Luminary

Does the satellite at 192.168.1.2 show up on the router's attached devices page?
Message 2 of 10
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Yes. It shows on the router's list of attached devices at 192.168.1.2

Message 3 of 10

reboot the orbi system / power cycle all orbi units and do the same for all your devices , see if that helps 

Message 4 of 10
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Please note that in my initial post I stated I had already tried rebooting, power cycling and even reloading the firmware. Unfortunately that didn't help the issue. The most frustrating thing about it is, when devices are connected to the satellite, they simply dissappear from the router's attached devices list yet are obviously connected to the intenet!

Additionally, when I checked the ORBI router this morning via the web browser GUI, I noted that the satellite had changed IP addresses (192.168.1.250) even though I "reserved" 192.168.1.2 for it. Even more odd is I had set the IP address range to stop at 192.168.1.100! This is getting really weird!

Message 5 of 10
tucsontico
Virtuoso

OK, folks: I've let the ORBI system "stabilize" for a few days while I was away. I've changed NOTHING since my orginal post 5 days ago. Here's what's happening:

1) I still cannot see anything attached to the satellite. The satellite does show up in the list of "Attached Devices." 

2) When a device is connected to the satellite it disappears from the list of Attached Devices and never appears on the list of devices attached to the satellite--nothing ever shows up there. Yet I know that the device is connected to the WiFi because I've run a dozen speed tests from the location where only the satellite could be the service provider and the tests show pretty decent speed (it was a total dead zone before I got the ORBI).

3) When I look at the "Online Firmware Update" page, the satellite does NOT appear on the list of devices to update.

4) When I look at the "Manual Firmware Update" page NOTHING shows up there, neither the router nor the satellite!

Any ideas?

Message 6 of 10
tucsontico
Virtuoso

After a lot of power cycles, reboots, etc. I finally may have discovered the problem! I tried simply moving the satellite a little closer to the router. Guess what? Miraculously, I began to "see" the satellite webpage (192.168.1.2) and was able to view devices attached to the satellite!

I only moved the satellite about 15 feet closer and let it re-connect to the router. I am now able to view all the information about the satellite via it's web page. However, the WiFi signal in an area I originally purchased the ORBI to cover is very weak.Smiley Sad The satellite originally had a "blue" light in the first location but I'll bet it went "amber" soemtime after I installed it. It now has a solid "blue" connection and appears to be working.

A note for NETGEAR: please fix the firmware so even in an "Amber" connection state the satellite will respond to queries from the web-based GUI.

Message 7 of 10
loomis1975
Luminary

Wow. I guess I'd take wireless coverage over status information, but I think you are onto something were the satellite is in a certain "error" condition and just stops doing certain functions, but still provided Wi-Fi. Frustrating for sure, glad you figured it out.
Message 8 of 10
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Thanks. I agree with you and may place the satellite back in my original position to get stronger coverage. However, I'm uncertain if there may be more issues with being "on the edge" of the backhaul limit, e.g., drop outs, coverage dead spots, etc. I'll keep messing with it for a little while longer.

The reason I've tried this is I have recently installed solar panels on my roof and the solar array reports its "health" through my WiFi. Due to my house being built with concrete block (covered in stucco) exterior walls, WiFi performance suffers outside my house where the solar array controls are located.  I've used extenders, powerline modules, etc. but they are unstable too. If the ORBI doesn't hack the program I may have to run an Ethernet hardwire to solar controller. Not an easy or inexpensive task! Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 10
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Update on ORBI stability issues: I discovered that I left the 2.4gHz channel selection set in "auto". By locking it to channel 6, I've gotten much better stability on my 2.4 gHz devices. I will do a more indepth signal analysis to see if channel 1 or 11 will be better. However, my nearest neighbor with potential interference is several hundred feet away. BTW, my 5 gHz band has been locked in channel 48 with good stability and range since installing the ORBI 10 days ago.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7