Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to access the admin page after firmware update

UP4278
Aspirant

Unable to access the admin page after firmware update

Orbi RBR20 - After applying the most recent version of the firmware (2.6.1.36), my admin credential doesn't work. I went through input the router serial#. Then it asked input for 2 security questions, it doesn't like my answers. Unable to proceed.. 

What options do I have to reset the admin credentials and reset the security questions? (without factory reset).

Thanks much

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 2 of 8
fmalloy
Luminary

It's hearing stories like this that make me nervous about updating firmware.

Are you sure you entered the correct admin username/password?

Message 3 of 8
UP4278
Aspirant

100% certain. I used the correct admin password. (not entirely sure about the security questions).

Now it is a mess I needed to reinstall the entire thing. 😞

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how the reset goes. After setting up from scratch be sure to save off a backup of the configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

@UP4278 wrote:

100% certain. I used the correct admin password. (not entirely sure about the security questions).

Now it is a mess I needed to reinstall the entire thing. 😞

Message 5 of 8
UP4278
Aspirant

After the factory reset everything is back fine. All Circle settings were lost (annoying).. 

I will not buy another Netgear device. 

Message 6 of 8
fmalloy
Luminary

@UP4278 wrote:

After the factory reset everything is back fine. All Circle settings were lost (annoying).. 

Advice around here seems to be a "factory reset" for so many issues. To me, forcing your device to be factory reset is an indication of poor design or firmware bugs.

A factory reset should need to be done only twice - at the factory, and when you sell it.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

To avoid settings being lost, the backup configuration to file is a feature that users can use to save a configuration to file. So after a reset is needed, you can reload the configuration from file and get your settings back.

Resets with ANY mfr router will clear out ANY user configurations. Nature of the beast and is a normal troubleshooting step. 

Good Luck. 

@UP4278 wrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7