Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to download from Amazon AWS servers

Adwiz
Aspirant

Unable to download from Amazon AWS servers

I have been using an Orbi RBR20 system for the past year. It has downloaded fine from Amazon's AWS servers until today. Now it generates the following error:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to subdomain.s3.amazonaws.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

I ran into this when trying to download backups from WPEngine, my website hosting service. The connection fails on all browsers and all computers. I tested with a different network not connected to the Orbi and it worked fine.

Apparently AWS released a statement a few days ago that they changed how their servers are interfacing with SSL and this seems to be the result. I currently cannot download from Amazon's AWS servers at all. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Unable to download from Amazon AWS servers

Do you have Armor enabled or anything else proxying your Orbi requests?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you provide a link to this AWS announcement?

Almost the entire web has switched to SSL (https) connections.  One hypothesis might be that if all other web connections work and AWS is the only one that fails, the "something that has changed" is AWS.

This error occurs often enough that internet searches turn up many hits, such as this one:

https://appuals.com/pr-connect-reset-error/ 

Message 2 of 8
Adwiz
Aspirant

Unfortunately I don't have the notice from AWS. The tech support rep at WPEngine told me about it, as he believes it's related to the problem. My router is running the latest firmware and has no weird issues like double NAT. Given that the problem just started, it seems logical that the new configuration at AWS is related. But it means no downloads from that service are possible with my Orbi. I can only download by tethering to my phone's cellular data network. With website backups in the hundreds of Mb that's not exactly something I look forward to.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, bummer.  So none of the recommendations on those web sites were helptul?

No VPN? Browser caches cleared? Change DNS servers? etc.

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

There appear to be multiple method of doing WPEngine backups.  Do they all fail with the same error?

https://wpengine.com/resources/how-to-backup-wordpress/ 

Message 5 of 8
Adwiz
Aspirant

There are many ways to backup Wordpress sites, but the ones that involve plugins are very server intensive and can be problematic on busy sites because they are so slow. The ones created by the hosting environment are reliable and add no load to the server. I have a redundant daily server backup system using Blogvault that doesn't use Amazon AWS servers so it can be used until (if) Netgear fixes this issue with the Orbi.

Message 6 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

Do you have Armor enabled or anything else proxying your Orbi requests?

Message 7 of 8
Adwiz
Aspirant

Thank you! I checked Armor on the computers and it wasn’t installed so I didn’t think it was an issue. But it was enabled on the router and I hadn’t even thought of that. Disabled it and voila! All good. Thanks so much!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7