Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to log in from desktop RBR40

WanderWay
Aspirant

Unable to log in from desktop RBR40

Unable to log in from desktop computer.  Tells me that id or password is incorrect.  Not true.  When attempting to change the password, I am prompted for the serial number and questions.  I get two questions.  1. where was I born and 2.  where was my mother born.  I don't recall setting mothers birth place and even so, have never know where she was born.  Now.  How do I bypass this to log on my router.  NOTE:  I have the app and can log on fine there, but not able to change anything there.  HELP!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
WanderWay
Aspirant

Re: Unable to log in from desktop RBR40

I have finally solved my problem.  Chrome Browser considers the router as not secure.  I went to Microsoft Edge and it works fine.  This appears to me to be something that Netgear could easily fix.  It has caused me a lot of time and efffort.  Note, I tried to use the iPhone browser.  I was able to get in with it, but had lot of trouble with the UI. Another area that could use some changes.

Thanks to those of you for the your help.  I'm just glad that I didn't have to reset to factory.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Use your wired PC and web browser to walk thru the setup wizard. This will ask you security questions. Please write down all important information and complete the setup wizard. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@WanderWay wrote:

Unable to log in from desktop computer.  Tells me that id or password is incorrect.  Not true.

Orbi has two sets of credentials, WiFi and administration.  The factory WiFi name and password are printed on a label attached to the router, and are often change by users to something they find more personal.  The administration user name is always "admin" and (from the factory) the password is "password".  Users are badgered into changing it during the setup, although some people do not.

Also, during setup, Orbi encourages users to select some of the challenge questions and provide answers to them.  If the user fails to complete this process before moving on to the next step of the setup, Netgear is left with default questions but no answers.

If the administration password you remember is not accepted, then the only alternative is to get out the paperclip, perform a "factory reset", and configure it again.

Message 3 of 4
WanderWay
Aspirant

I have finally solved my problem.  Chrome Browser considers the router as not secure.  I went to Microsoft Edge and it works fine.  This appears to me to be something that Netgear could easily fix.  It has caused me a lot of time and efffort.  Note, I tried to use the iPhone browser.  I was able to get in with it, but had lot of trouble with the UI. Another area that could use some changes.

Thanks to those of you for the your help.  I'm just glad that I didn't have to reset to factory.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7