Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to register Alexa on Orbi Voce RBS40V in Extender Mode

sc_ng_com
Follower

Unable to register Alexa on Orbi Voce RBS40V in Extender Mode

I am able to configure my Orbi RBS40V Voice in extender mode and can connect to Orbi RBS850, Nighthawk X8, and Xfinity Gateway routers, but I am unable to control the Orbi Voice in nether the Orbi or Nighthawk apps.  Because the Orbi Voice does not show up, I am unable to register my device with Amazon Alexa which prevents the "voice" part of the extender unusable.

The extender function works on three different routers -- confirmed with wired connection.  I am not trying to configure the Orbi Voice as a Satellite. Firmware and apps are the latest.  I have tried all possible configurations and can see the Orbi Voice in the device map in the Orbi app, but I can't control it to register Amazon Alexa.  The Orbi Voice responds to me saying "Alexa" by saying I have not yet registered my device.  Any suggestions?

• Hardware Version: RBS40V
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.0.36_1.0.29

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unable to register Alexa on Orbi Voce RBS40V in Extender Mode

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the RBS40v(oice) product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with the RBS40v and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Voice-WiFi-Meets-HiFI/bd-p/en-home-orbi-voice

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unable to register Alexa on Orbi Voce RBS40V in Extender Mode

@sc_ng_com wrote:

I am able to configure my Orbi RBS40V Voice in extender mode and can connect to Orbi RBS850, Nighthawk X8, and Xfinity Gateway routers, but I am unable to control the Orbi Voice in neither the Orbi or Nighthawk apps.  Because the Orbi Voice does not show up, I am unable to register my device with Amazon Alexa which prevents the "voice" part of the extender unusable.

Puzzling that Netgear's instructions say to use the Nighthawk app to finish setting up the Orbi Voice:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061427/How-do-I-setup-my-Orbi-Voice-RBS40V-in-Extender-Mode 

@sc_ng_com wrote:

The extender function works on three different routers -- confirmed with wired connection.

Shame that the Orbi Voice cannot be wired to the RBS850 for actual use (rather than test).  My guess is the reason it isn't claimed to be a satellite for the AX series products is the WiFi backhaul.  Other first generation Orbi satellites work with the AX products when connected with ethernet cable.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7