Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to uncheck Enable Password Reset - Orbi RBR50 - FW V2.5.1.8

smartishhome
Follower

Unable to uncheck Enable Password Reset - Orbi RBR50 - FW V2.5.1.8

Hi community,

Quick question.  I'm trying to turn off "Enable Password Reset" but when I uncheck the box in the webapp and try to hit 'Apply' nothing happens.  I tried changing my reset questions to  have answers generated from my password keeper (with the checkmark ticked) and when I went to hit 'Apply' nothing happens. 

So does that mean if I want to change anything Password Reset related I am forced to change my password (as presumably that would allow the system to let me apply the change(s))?  I also tried unchecking the Enable Password Reset box with my current password entered into the 'Old Password' box - with no impact to the above. 

Thanks for any insight!

P.S. - I'd try to see if I got a better or different result from the iOS app but right now it's just crashing as soon as FaceID authenticates into the app so that's a non-starter.

Lets see here...

Orbi RBR50 AC3000...(not the new second gen)

Web app

Firefox 72.0.2

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unable to uncheck Enable Password Reset - Orbi RBR50 - FW V2.5.1.8

On my Orbi web interface, unchecking "Enable Password Reset" causes the "questions" part of the screen to disappear. 

I believe the reason for this is "Password Reset" refers to the feature where entering an incorrect password three times beings up a offer to reset the password by entering the serial number and answering the questions.  Someone who has physical access to the Orbi can read the serial number off the label and can try guessing the answers to questions and thus reset the password.

The "truly paranoid" can prevent this by making it impossible for anyone to reset the password except by doing  a factory reset.  It has nothing to do with changing the password now.  It only activates or deactivates the "Recovery" process.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unable to uncheck Enable Password Reset - Orbi RBR50 - FW V2.5.1.8

Be sure to write down all important information for safe keeping later on after walking thru the setup wizard.

@smartishhome wrote:

Hi community,

Quick question.  I'm trying to turn off "Enable Password Reset" but when I uncheck the box in the webapp and try to hit 'Apply' nothing happens.  I tried changing my reset questions to  have answers generated from my password keeper (with the checkmark ticked) and when I went to hit 'Apply' nothing happens. 

So does that mean if I want to change anything Password Reset related I am forced to change my password (as presumably that would allow the system to let me apply the change(s))?  I also tried unchecking the Enable Password Reset box with my current password entered into the 'Old Password' box - with no impact to the above. 

Thanks for any insight!

P.S. - I'd try to see if I got a better or different result from the iOS app but right now it's just crashing as soon as FaceID authenticates into the app so that's a non-starter.

Lets see here...

Orbi RBR50 AC3000...(not the new second gen)

Web app

Firefox 72.0.2

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7