Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to use Wi-Fi Calling on RBK50 - iphone 6 & 8 on EE

Malvern84
Tutor

Unable to use Wi-Fi Calling on RBK50 - iphone 6 & 8 on EE

I've recently purchased the RBK50 and I'm using it in conjunction with a DM200 VDSL modem & the Orbi is running in AP mode.

Since switching to the Orbi from the BT HomeHub 5 neither of my iPhones will use Wi-Fi calling, or they will connect but then drop the connection when i try to make a call. I've followed several guides on this + other forums but i cannot get the phones to work with the Orbis. The Orbis are using 2.1.4.10. 

If anyone has any tips on how to get this working I would be greatful for any advice. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy chain, Fast Roaming and IPv6

What is your ISP speed UP and Down that you pay for?

Is the phone connecting to the satellite or to the Orbi router when on the phone?

Message 2 of 13
Malvern84
Tutor

I've tried disabiling MIMO, Daisy Chain, FastRoaming & IPv6 to no avail. The phones all connect to the base unit - i dont currently have a satelite running as ive lent it to a friend. 

Ive had a number of calls today where the phone half way through the call connects to the Wi-Fi Calling which then kills the phone call and then it falls back off. 

Regarding the ISP i get around 32 down and 7.5 up

Message 3 of 13
Malvern84
Tutor

Well after 5 hours of talking with Netgear "support" they managed to make the situation significantly worse, the Orbi refused to see an internet connection from the DM200, and when plugged directly into the DM200 which shows a Green "Internet Connected" icon, the DM200 showed a local IP, and any website you visit rerouted you to routerlogin.net. I cant believe how much of a headache this has turned into. Even hard resetting the Orbi, it wouldnt pick up any connection.

I have since installed a Aerohive AP250 and like i would have expected from the Orbi, it worked as soon as it was plugged in. Have now returned the Orbi and DM200. 

Message 4 of 13
tsig
Luminary

My iphone 8 and my wife's iphone X have no problem using wifi calling.  

Message 5 of 13
tsig
Luminary

50/50 and no.  

Message 6 of 13
wildsubnet
Apprentice

7.5M is plenty of bandwidth for VoIP traffic. Yeah, could you saturate it? Sure, but 99% of home users aren’t ever going to send enough traffic to impact it. Home connections typcially receive much more traffic than they send.

Don’t want to discourage anyone from flipping on WiFi calling where you might have a bad cell signal.

Message 7 of 13
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Try these but be careful and note they are not technically supported:

http://orbilogin.net/QOS_main.htm

http://orbilogin.net/QOS_rule.htm

Message 8 of 13
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Sorry my bad - I forgot and just now remembered those won't work in AP mode.

Message 9 of 13
wildsubnet
Apprentice

@Case850

At 7.5M Up, QoS is nice to protect and prioritize voice traffic on your local uplink but the main concern is serialization delay which isn’t a problem with a 7.5M circuit. The Orbi should round robin between traffic flows and assuming there isn’t a bunch of flows trying to upload all at the same time then voice should be OK. YMMV depending on what you are doing and specific applications but I have lots of cloud based services going on and use VoIP all the time (10M up). Just isn’t really an issue. Internet is best effort anyway, you’re more likely to congest somewhere else upstream.

Now I will concede the Orbi could have a bug and do something stupid (sadly kind of likely at some point with this platform), but in that case seems unlikely the Orbi QoS settings would save you. Also, seems like I remember reading enabling QoS on the Orbi actually slows down throughput significantly due to the ASIC being used in the product and the architecture it uses to push packets. So really isn’t worth enabling anyway.

Message 10 of 13
tsig
Luminary

considering that people have been making phone calls on single twisted pairs for a long time, 7.5Mbps is more than enough bandwidth by itself.  Sure if the user is doing other things to use it up you could have a problem, but by itself it shouldn't be an issue.

Message 11 of 13
tsig
Luminary

@Case850

Yep, my Orbi system is an expensive wireless bridge.  One that completely exceeds my expectations and covers my entire property with an amazingly fast and rock solid signal.  Couldn't be happier.

Message 12 of 13

The QoS links make me happy to see; thank you for sharing.  I cannot tell you how disappointed I was when I fired up my Orbi RBK50 and saw the QoS tab had only a speed test.  It is one of a few missing features, IMO:

QoS or similiar priority mechanism; primarily to prioritize a few devices (wired and wireless) over everything else... in and out.
Port Agriggation/Bonding (I mean really, USB File sharing, so a NAS is recommended but no port bonding for my NAS)?
ZigBee

Colors or skins; something to make the darn thing look good in my Den.  Hey, it's got wireless bridging for me in spades.  Completely eliminated my wife lag /w Diablo 3 co-op on two XBONEX by moving them to wired on the satellight.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7