Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: UniFi Dream Machine as main router with RBR50 and RBS50 as APs ?

nameuser
Tutor

UniFi Dream Machine as main router with RBR50 and RBS50 as APs ?

Is it possible to use a UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) as the main router with the RBR50 physically connected to the UDM in AP mode and have my RBS50s still work as wireless satellites?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

@nameuser wrote:

@Mstrbig Thank you. I'm primarily considering the UDM for its traffic management and Security Gateway (IPS and DPI) features. Any idea if the UDM would be able to recognize traffic reaching it through the Orbi AP and satellites? since most devices will end up connecting to the Orbi router and satellites if the UDM WiFi is turned off.

If your Orbi is connected to the UDM and the UDM router is handling all DHCP, and the Orbi is in AP mode, all traffic will be handled by the UDM, regardless if WIFI is disabled on the UDM. All traffic will still be routed through the UDM.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@nameuser wrote:

Is it possible to use a UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) as the main router with the RBR50 physically connected to the UDM in AP mode and have my RBS50s still work as wireless satellites?

Yes, however, I would disable WiFi on the Dream Machine, to avoid conflicts.

They could co-exist if your WIFI channels are different and you don't have a lot of neighbor traffic. 

You would just have 2 separate WIFI networks. 

My setup use to be that way and I never had conflicts. But I made sure my WIFI router was on one WIFI channel and my Orbi WIFI was on another channel for both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Message 2 of 7
mith_it
Luminary

If you have a UDM why not use their mesh? Just curious
Message 3 of 7
nameuser
Tutor

@Mstrbig Thank you. I'm primarily considering the UDM for its traffic management and Security Gateway (IPS and DPI) features. Any idea if the UDM would be able to recognize traffic reaching it through the Orbi AP and satellites? since most devices will end up connecting to the Orbi router and satellites if the UDM WiFi is turned off.

Message 4 of 7
nameuser
Tutor

@mith_it I haven't bought the UDM as yet. Just considering it for it's traffic management and Security Gateway (IPS and DPI) features. Don't want to invest in making a complete switch over to Unifi at the moment since I'm already pretty heavily invested in the Orbi system (2 RBR50s and 5 RBS50s). They work really well for the coverage area I need, but I wish they had better security features that didn't require a subscription.

Message 5 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@nameuser wrote:

If your Orbi is connected to the UDM and the UDM router is handling all DHCP, and the Orbi is in AP mode, all traffic will be handled by the UDM, regardless if WIFI is disabled on the UDM. All traffic will still be routed through the UDM.

Message 6 of 7
nameuser
Tutor

@Mstrbig ok. I understand how it would work now. Thank you for your help!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7