Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unidentified device removal

Orbi_in_NC
Aspirant

Unidentified device removal

Hello all!  I have an unidentified device on my network. I curently have it "Blocked" but would like to actiially remove the device but I cannot find any method to do this. I've look in the user guied and on various threads but cannot find a method to remove, delete, erase this device.  I would be greatful for some insight on how to achieve this.  Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unidentified device removal

@Orbi_in_NC wrote:

I've look in the user guide and on various threads but cannot find a method to remove, delete, erase this device

This is correct.  It is not clear (to me) why Netgear chose to interpret "Block" as meaning, "Give this device an IP address, but do not let it communicate."f  When it is no longer connected, it will disappear.

This must be a device connected over WiFi (otherwise you surely would have found it by now).  One way that is sure to work is to change the WiFi password.  Which is too ghastly to imagine doing!  (With all my Internet of Things devices that have no keyboard or camera, it would mean physically resetting and reconfiguring all of them.  OMG.  No Way!)

Perhaps a more practical compromise would be to determine what kind of device it might be by looking up the MAC address in one of the many web databases to see which vendor might have built it: https://www.macvendorlookup.com/ 

For example, if the MAC says "Apple", then it's probably an Apple product.  How many of these can there be in one house?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The client list is dynamic. If it found a device connected it will be listed and displayed. Has the device been removed from actually being connected to the system, wired or wireless? If it's been removed from the wired or wireless connection, it should no long appear in the connected clients list after a short period of time. 

Message 2 of 11
Orbi_in_NC
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I do not know what this device is, and its newly added to my system and I have not added any new devices.  Since I don't know what it is, I wish to remove it from my system. I curently have it blocked but its still showing up in the connected device list.

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@Orbi_in_NC wrote:

I've look in the user guide and on various threads but cannot find a method to remove, delete, erase this device

This is correct.  It is not clear (to me) why Netgear chose to interpret "Block" as meaning, "Give this device an IP address, but do not let it communicate."f  When it is no longer connected, it will disappear.

This must be a device connected over WiFi (otherwise you surely would have found it by now).  One way that is sure to work is to change the WiFi password.  Which is too ghastly to imagine doing!  (With all my Internet of Things devices that have no keyboard or camera, it would mean physically resetting and reconfiguring all of them.  OMG.  No Way!)

Perhaps a more practical compromise would be to determine what kind of device it might be by looking up the MAC address in one of the many web databases to see which vendor might have built it: https://www.macvendorlookup.com/ 

For example, if the MAC says "Apple", then it's probably an Apple product.  How many of these can there be in one house?

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Another way to remove it would be to change the PW for the SSID. Don't give out the PW. See if anyone asks for it or if you notice anything. Phsyically look for new LAN wired devices connected to the RBR or RBS. I would disconnect everything from the system accept for 1 wired PC and then begine to re-connect them one at a time to see if you notice where the device maybe. 

@Orbi_in_NC wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I do not know what this device is, and its newly added to my system and I have not added any new devices.  Since I don't know what it is, I wish to remove it from my system. I curently have it blocked but its still showing up in the connected device list.

Message 5 of 11
Orbi_in_NC
Aspirant

Good idea, thanks!
Message 6 of 11
Orbi_in_NC
Aspirant

Thanks! I did the mac lookup and it’s an apple device of some sort. The hunt is on!! Password reset is a good option as i dint have that many devices to manage; more than I thought though. Thanks for the help!
Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I always forget about the iPod Plus that is connected to our stereo (yes, "stereo").  Good Hunting!

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out. 

@Orbi_in_NC wrote:
Thanks! I did the mac lookup and it’s an apple device of some sort. The hunt is on!! Password reset is a good option as i dint have that many devices to manage; more than I thought though. Thanks for the help!

Message 9 of 11
Orbi_in_NC
Aspirant

Haha, thanks! Sneaky lil devices!

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Actually, there probably is logic behind Netgear's practice.  If I enter a valid SSID/password and cannot connect, there is no mechanism to tell me what's going on.  There may be no 802.11 standard for, "yes, you entered correct information, but I refuse to talk to you. Go away."

Slim though it is, the Attached Devices/Access Control mechanism allow the user to know that the SSID/password were correct and there is another reason the device is not working.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7