Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unique SSIDs and Password

DavidBQ
Aspirant

Unique SSIDs and Password

I require separted SSIDs for some of my older Smart Home Devices. 

I was wondering if via Telnet there is a way to not only rename each SSID uniquely but set the password for each SSID uniquely? I am replacing my old Router (Standard) and Extenders with a RB50 and was hoping to use my old SSIDs and Passwords. If so please share the commands? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
DavidBQ
Aspirant

Re: Unique SSIDs and Password

I am unsure what compelled you to post such a very uncool comment to my thread and quite frankly don’t care to understand why. You have offended me; therefore, I would respectfully ask going forward you reframe from commenting on any of my threads.

Unfortunately this forum does not provide the standard tools to delete comments or block users.

Given that you have hijacked  this thread  with such a manner of response and I don’t want it to spiral any further I am closing it.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Separation of SSID is not Officially supported on Orbi. The system and devices auto detect which devices get connected to which frequency. You can temporarily disable the SSID broadcast while your setting up the devices. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. I presume they are 2.4Ghz only devices. They should work with Orbi and won't see any 5Ghz signals. 

The Orbi system should work with most wifi devices with out any un-supported configurations of the Orbi. 

Message 2 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Separation of SSID is not supported on Orbi.

I'm pretty sure the OP is NOT asking if SSID separation is supported by NG bu t rather can it be done.

There are tons of posts here from successful users using TELNET.

Message 3 of 14
DavidBQ
Aspirant

Yes as I stated I realize separating SSID can be done (I have review the posts). What I am asking is can you then asign a different password to each SSID once separated via Telnet. If so how?

Message 4 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@DavidBQ wrote:

Yes as I stated I realize separating SSID can be done (I have review the posts). What I am asking is can you then asign a different password to each SSID once separated via Telnet. If so how?

I can't tell you the details, but what I read it sounded like other were successful.  The process is not for the faint at heart.  Not sure about the password option ..???  Have you considered the guest network?

I ran into this somewhat problem due to a device that was to be setup using the Iphone which had to be on 2.4    Ended up turning down the 5g signal at the router and unplugging the Sats.  Once complete turned everything back to normal.

I suppose you have your reasons for wanting to do this.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious if you have tiried these older devices with the Orbi using the default single SSID name first yet? 

@DavidBQ wrote:

I require separted SSIDs for some of my older Smart Home Devices. 

I was wondering if via Telnet there is a way to not only rename each SSID uniquely but set the password for each SSID uniquely? I am replacing my old Router (Standard) and Extenders with a RB50 and was hoping to use my old SSIDs and Passwords. If so please share the commands? 

Message 6 of 14

Another curiosity question, have you tried changing the SSID on the Orbi to something that the devices recognise?

Better yet, why are you asking for this?

Why do you require "separated SSIDs for some of my older Smart Home Devices"? 

Tell us what you really need to do without jumping to conclusions about how you should go about it.

In other words, start by explaining what you are trying to connect. You may be jumping to the wrong conclusion when you ask about changing SSIDs.

Message 7 of 14
DavidBQ
Aspirant

Wow kind of disappointed I can't get a simple answer.  All I was looking for is a "yes, this is the command" or "no, that functionality is not available".  Thanks for offering your help in analyzing this but its not required in this instance, research done, conclusion determined.  So can some please just provide a direct answer to the question "via Telnet there is a way to not only rename each SSID uniquely but set the password for each SSID uniquely"? Thanks in advance for only answering the question. 

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Still would like to know if you have tried these devices with your system with out making any changes. Techincally they should work. 

Message 9 of 14

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Still would like to know if you have tried these devices with your system with out making any changes. Technically they should work. 

Indeed. Coming here for answers depends on asking the right questions and providing useful information.

As regulars will know, sometimes people insist that they have to make a particularly change, when it is really a red herring.

As well as being interested in knowing if these devices work without making any changes, it might also be useful to tell people what these devices are.

Message 10 of 14
DavidBQ
Aspirant

Please forgive my frustration. This issue has been going on for a couple of months now. This is not the first community I have been on with this issue (quite a number in fact). The questions you are asking have been asked countless times. Bottomline, been there…tried that. I didn’t want to rehash all the various methods tried for the umpteen time. I am grateful for you input but I am well past those suggestion, hope you can understand that.

Someone pointed me to this community and suggest I ask "via Telnet is there a way to not only rename each SSID uniquely (which I have found how to) but also set the password for each SSID uniquely". From there I can try to see if this solves the connection issue.

Again thank you for your input but please if you want to help me point me in the right direction to getting the answer to the question I am posing.

Message 11 of 14

You are asking for information that is outside the remit of "official" support channels. Advice on playing around with Telnet is not something that you will get from the Netgear team.

Yes, there are non-Netgear people here, but they too usually stick to familiar territory, just as they do when people ask about third-party firmware. That's best handled over in places where they create it.

If you aren't prepared to go into the underlying issue – such as the devices involved – then you would do better to seek help outside the Netgear community.

That you are not prepared to divulge basic information makes it hard to say more. Telling us that "This is not the first community I have been on with this issue" tells us not ,much it simply raises the question, why did you faff around elsewhere when you are trying to fix a Netgear device? Nor does it tell us anything about the possibly dodgy advice that you received elsewhere.

Many of these "how so I connect my stuff?" issues get solved when people don't mind saying what it is they want to connect and what foes wrong when they try to connect it.

No one is trying to be awkward, simply to get to the bottom of the problem. Good luck with whatever search engine you favour.

Message 12 of 14
DavidBQ
Aspirant

I am unsure what compelled you to post such a very uncool comment to my thread and quite frankly don’t care to understand why. You have offended me; therefore, I would respectfully ask going forward you reframe from commenting on any of my threads.

Unfortunately this forum does not provide the standard tools to delete comments or block users.

Given that you have hijacked  this thread  with such a manner of response and I don’t want it to spiral any further I am closing it.

Message 13 of 14

@DavidBQ wrote:

I'm afraid you have done nothing of the sort.

By marking this as SOLVED you have opened the door for people to think that it arrived at some sort of resolution of your problem.

This is far from the case, mostly because you have not provided enough information to understand what that problem might be.

You also have a funny interpretation of what denotes a "hijack".

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7