Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unknown Connection

Jjgalaska
Tutor

Unknown Connection

Im having an issue with things not staying connected. In the device liat it shows devices connected to the 2.4 band. The 5 band. And... wth is the unknown connection type. It is NOT unknown device. It is Unknown connection type? What am I doing wrong?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you get internet access with these devices?

What devices do you have connected?

No, nothing your doing wrong, there are known issues in FW with device detection. Something NG has to fix.

You can edit and rename each device if you want to so you know what they are.

Message 2 of 12
Jjgalaska
Tutor

Several of my Itead sonoff switches that operate on 2.4. Some show up under 2.4. Some under unkown. And it almost seams like nothing wants to connect to my outoor obi in the garage. Maybe they are not far enough apart. I haven’t figured it out yet.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distances between orbi router and satellite and other devices?

30feet starting between the Orbi router and satellite.

Message 4 of 12
Jjgalaska
Tutor

It was within 25-50 foot range. When i set it up it indicated blue for good signal location. I just moved the outdoor sat. Out of the garage and out it outside by the pool. Now my devices are connecting to the main without issue except for ine plug swtch that keeps going offline. Could the outdoor router be too close and strong bumping these wifi switches off? Because the outdoor sat. Is not overpowering and stealing devices. If anything, it is barely connecting anything to it at all. I wonder if it is bad.
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the outdoor Orbi and router?

What channels are you using? Try manual channel 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 6 of 12
Jjgalaska
Tutor

That may be why my signal jumps from from -50 to -70. My neighbors on both sides have wifi. One of them has an Orbi setup also. I will have to do aome research about changing the channels because I cant find thise options in the phone ap. May have to go old school and IE the router IP Etc. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Change channels ON the router using a PC with a web browser connected to the routers web page. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 12
Jjgalaska
Tutor

LIGHT BULB! ok while I am messing with my smart sonoff switches, I found that some of these do not show connected to my Outdoor Satellite. But when I unplugged my Outdoor Sat, they went off line. So the problem,in addition to connectivity consistancy, is that the Orbi is not properly placing devices as connected to the appropriate satellite, and will list them as connected to the main Router.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon where they are connected, they should show on the router anyways since it reports whats all connected.

Also log into the satellites web page and you should see them connected there as well.

Try changing channels...

Message 10 of 12
Jjgalaska
Tutor

Well. I did I bunch of things so I am not sure what it was that worked. But, when I went into the router settings, I turned on beam forming, changed the 2.4 channel, and the seitches have been on without disconnecting. However. Some the switches are in my attic above the garage, and switches on the far side of garage all are connected. I have my outdoor Orbi satellite on the wall in the garage. According to to ap, nothing is connected to it at all. I figure one of two things is happening, it doesn’t work because it’s closest to the switches and they are not connecting to it. Or, they are connected to it but the ap sucks and isn’t accurate. It seems like the outdoor orbi has some different issues than regular satellites. It has its own button in the ap also, so its probably not displaying correctly.

Anyway. Thank you very much for helping me troubleshoot this. All my Sonoff switches are now working!!
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad to be of help. ENjoy. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements