Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unknown Wi-Fi network NETGEAR60

Noroddveien
Apprentice

Unknown Wi-Fi network NETGEAR60

Hi,

I have a RBR50 and RBS50 satellite.  I have named my Wi-Fi network Orbi3000 but in addition a network called NETGEAR60 always shows up.  I assume it is my satellite (back hauled to RBR50) but do not understand why it shows up at all since it connects automatically via the router.  In addition, I can’t log into it directly and for example change the name to satellite.  What is NETGEAR60 and can I change the name? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

This must be the backhaul network.

The backhaul network is broadcasted by the router (you should see the MAC address of the router) on the 5 GHz band (unsualy channel 108 and uppwards). If you have Daisy Chain enabled then you will also see the same network broadcased for every satellite as well, so if you have 1 satellite then you will see 2 such networks with hidden SSID from 2 different MAC addresses, one for the router and another for the satellite.

This channel has no SSID so it seems that the name NETGEAR60 is only given to the network by your Wifi analyser since it knows the vendor of each network by it's MAC.This name is not broadcasted by Orbi for sure.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

This must be the backhaul network.

The backhaul network is broadcasted by the router (you should see the MAC address of the router) on the 5 GHz band (unsualy channel 108 and uppwards). If you have Daisy Chain enabled then you will also see the same network broadcased for every satellite as well, so if you have 1 satellite then you will see 2 such networks with hidden SSID from 2 different MAC addresses, one for the router and another for the satellite.

This channel has no SSID so it seems that the name NETGEAR60 is only given to the network by your Wifi analyser since it knows the vendor of each network by it's MAC.This name is not broadcasted by Orbi for sure.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps it is worth asking how you became aware of NETGEAR60.  Does it show up in a list of WiFi networks on your smartphone/tablet/laptop?  (In which case, it is definitely not your equipment)  Are you using a "WiFi Analyzer" program or app?  Which one?  What WiFi channel does it appear on?  (If it is a 2.4G channel, it is unlikely to be your Orbi backhaul.)

Message 3 of 4
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Eureka! Yes, NETGEAR60 shows up in my list of network WiFi and NetSpot shows it as a 2.4G channel. Based on your and ekhalil´s comments, I therefore began to realize that it may have something to do with my Arlo base unit (Netgear Arlo camera system). I unplugged the base unit and lo and behold NETGEAR60 dissappeared. 

Thanks guys!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7