Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unknown device on new wifi network set up yesterday

BriMcD10
Aspirant

Unknown device on new wifi network set up yesterday

Hi all, yesterday I installed a brand new Orbi AC3000 mesh system with 1 satelite.  It is password protected and I personally set up each device one at a time on it so I can seperate some devices on a different network.  While doing so, an unknown device signed on to my network and the 2.4GHz frequency that I do not recognize.   The MAC address is 00:23:13:0C:BF:80 and shows up as a "Computer" under Device Type.  In looking up the MAC prefix it points to Qool Technologies Ltd which is a japanese manufacturer.  All my devices I set up are accounted for on the network so not sure what this can be, especially as it would have needed a password to get on the system. In going to the website of this manufacturer and translating the page to English, I can't find any products that they would have that I would have in my house (http://www.qool-tech.co.jp/).  I also live in an area where there are no other houses or cars that would get within 20,000 feet from my routers to accidntally connect to it even if they had the password.  For now I have paused the internet on it on both the router app and the circle app.  But can't figure out how to permanently kick it off the list of connected devices or determine exactly its source.  Its connected to the sateliete so I know what end of the house it may be coming from, but beyond that, I got nothing.  Any help?  Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unknown device on new wifi network set up yesterday

This ethernet MAC address does lead to the Organizational Unique Identifier (OUI) for Qool Tech Industries.  What a mystery!  I agree entirely.  Without the password, a device cannot connect.

The device "type" that Orbi assigns to something is somewhat of a wild guess.  "Computer" might simply be the default for "I have no idea."

I am not a big fan of the Orbi "app", and have never activated Disney Circle (no kids).  On the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab->Security->Access Control provides a way to control which devices can attach to the network.  If you scroll down the page, there is a table at the bottom of MAC addresses that are blocked from access.  Note that when Access Control is activated, there is also a choice about whether new devices are allowed to connect or not.  This is a "double edged sword" sort of thing.  If Access Control is activated and new devices are prevented, then every time you want to connect something, you have to go back to the Orbi web interface and allow it.  i.e. Your wife's sister comes over while you are away at work and wants to show some things on her iPad.  The wife says, "oh, our WiFi password is xxxxx", but she can't connect.  For myself, I err on the side of, "if it knows the password, it can connect until I decide to block it."

Maybe someone will offer an explanation?

Message 2 of 5
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

You could try and change the password again and add each device one by one and check to see if this devices also connects as it sounds like it is a device in your home?

CheerZ and goodluck

Message 3 of 5
BriMcD10
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

This ethernet MAC address does lead to the Organizational Unique Identifier (OUI) for Qool Tech Industries.  What a mystery!  I agree entirely.  Without the password, a device cannot connect.

The device "type" that Orbi assigns to something is somewhat of a wild guess.  "Computer" might simply be the default for "I have no idea."

I am not a big fan of the Orbi "app", and have never activated Disney Circle (no kids).  On the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab->Security->Access Control provides a way to control which devices can attach to the network.  If you scroll down the page, there is a table at the bottom of MAC addresses that are blocked from access.  Note that when Access Control is activated, there is also a choice about whether new devices are allowed to connect or not.  This is a "double edged sword" sort of thing.  If Access Control is activated and new devices are prevented, then every time you want to connect something, you have to go back to the Orbi web interface and allow it.  i.e. Your wife's sister comes over while you are away at work and wants to show some things on her iPad.  The wife says, "oh, our WiFi password is xxxxx", but she can't connect.  For myself, I err on the side of, "if it knows the password, it can connect until I decide to block it."

Maybe someone will offer an explanation?

Thanks, thats actually why I have 2 seperate networks in the house.  So that when my wife's sister comes over, they all join the slower wifi network that all the home automation devices are on like the lights, thermostats, cameras, etc.  The new hi-speed one is dedicated to our family phones, computers and streaming devices like Echo's, fire tv sticks, chromecasts etc..  

I do have that device listed as blocked, but that does not prevent it from appearing as connected to the network...it just seems to block it from the internet.  Maybe because its already connected?  Hoping my only solution is to not have to change the password and resetup all the individual devices again one at a time 😞  You would think there would be a real simple way to just boot a device from your netwrok and not just "pause" it/block it which still shows it as a listed device on your network.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, I wish there was a WiFi "detector" sort of like a metal detector that would beep faster and faster as it gets closer to a WiFi device.

Are you able to connect to this device in any way?  (ping?  IP port scan?)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7