Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unknown devices

seastar5
Aspirant

Unknown devices

I was looking at my devices under my Orbi App and it shows one device that is a computer that I am unable to identify.  However, the slider to disable the wireless connection to that device is missing (the slider is available for all other connected devices).  Is this standard?  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Unknown devices

When clicking on it in the App - what details are shown? IP, MAC, ... probably a satellite?

Message 2 of 4
seastar5
Aspirant

It does provide both a MAC and IP address.  I read in another post that they believe this is the actual cell phone when using the app, but that doesn't really make sense to me because I see another device that is my cell phone.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

My experience is that the device running the app has no slider.  One of the annoying features of the new iPhone IOS 14 is that Apple implemented "randomizing MAC addresses".  This is a security feature which (my impression is) creates a different MAC address for every WiFi network that an iPhone connects to.  Not having an iPhone, I have no personal experience with this feature except that when one of my Raspberry Pi's got set to this behavior it drove me crazy until I found a way to turn it off.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7