Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unregister product - Orbi

Jestas
Aspirant

Unregister product - Orbi

Someone at Netgear support, please help me unregister my Orbi device.  It makes no sense that I cannot do it myself and there's no way to contact you via email. It's NOT worth a chat.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unregister product - Orbi

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

It may be worth noting that the Grey Unregister Bar is exactly that.  At the very bottom of the web page where it appears to be part of the typical "page footers". For my registered products, it is so far down the screen that it does not appear.  Only scrolling down... and down...makes it visible.

Message 3 of 12

@Jestas wrote:

Someone at Netgear support, please help me unregister my Orbi device. 

Why do you want to do that?

I ask because registration usually has no effect on the use of your device.

If you have a problem that you are trying to fix, it is unlikely to be related to registration.

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Most of the time people ask to unregister a product because they no longer have the product.  They have sold it, given it away, or something and it is no longer relevant to them.

Message 5 of 12

@CrimpOn wrote:

Most of the time people ask to unregister a product because they no longer have the product.  They have sold it, given it away, or something and it is no longer relevant to them.

Rather than rely on anecdote I'll go on the basis of evidence and what people say here. If they have sold the device to someone else, registration is usually irrelevant. You can't transfer warranty or support.

However, it depends on what they mean by "register". For example, they want to transfer Anywhere Access or ReadyCLOUD. Both require "registration" that is tied to a device. In which case they have reason to "deregister".

So, I will continue to ask why people ask for help with registration.

Message 6 of 12
BenjaminNYC
Apprentice

Because apparently it is literally impossible to remove an instance of SPC on one's router/account. Unregistration may be the only solution, unless you have any other ideas:

See, particularly post 17:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/To-use-Access-Control-please-use-the-Or...

Message 7 of 12

@BenjaminNYC wrote:

Because apparently it is literally impossible to remove an instance of SPC on one's router/account. Unregistration may be the only solution, unless you have any other ideas:

If "SPC" is about the various paid versions of parental controls, then going through the support channels for that feature might be  a start.

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

Unlike some of the things mentioned earlier, like ReadyCLOUD and Anywhere Access, which work through MyNetgear, parental controls require you to pay a subscription. So they will need different "get me out of here" channels.

Also Unregistration from parental controls does not have to mean Unregistration from MyNetgear, which s what gives you access to these other things.Maybe the kids have moved out and you want to get rid of parental controls without disposing of the router.

Message 8 of 12
BenjaminNYC
Apprentice

Thank you, but that does not address the issue. Please read referenced thread in its entirety.

I enabled SPC as a trial when I first got the Orbi system. It is now permanently tied to my account. No amount of factory resets have removed it. Turning it off in the app does not solve the issues, which are twofold:

1. I cannot use Access Control
  2. I cannot manually set DNS.

In the other poster's case, even returning his Orbi and getting a new one, reinitiated SPC on his new hardware. It seems tied to one's Netgear account and simply cannot be removed. Customer support at all levels has been unable to resolve. They say they will help and close tickets. The mods stopped answering.

I am now stuck with an Orbi system/account with SPC enabled, even though I have no subscription for the service. For this reason, I cannot access Access Control nor manually set DNS.

I am considering completely unregistering my product, creating a new Netgear account with a different email, and reregistering it to that account.

Note: SPC service online despite lack of subscription. Even getting new hardware does not resolve this. Nor did three factory resets.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 12.52.23 PM.png

Message 9 of 12

@BenjaminNYC wrote:

Thank you, but that does not address the issue. Please read referenced thread in its entirety.

I enabled SPC as a trial when I first got the Orbi system. It is now permanently tied to my account. No amount of factory resets have removed it. Turning it off in the app does not solve the issues, which are twofold:

1. I cannot use Access Control
  2. I cannot manually set DNS.

These will have nothing to do with being signed up to whatever you mean by SPC. (There are several types of parental control.)

Which problem do you want to fix?

"Unregistering" your router from something or other, or using Access Control (whatever that means to you) and manual DNS?

As with all troubleshooting, the place to start is with what you want to mend. Not with some idea that you have picked up

as to how to fix it.

"I read somewhere that I need a 10-inch spanner to mend this. But the only thing that works is an eight-inch screwdriver."

Reading the discussion in its entirety just shows that you started off with hitching a ride on question from @Jestas  that has nothing to do with your issue.

Sadly, life is too short to go chasing parallel conversations. 

Message 10 of 12
BenjaminNYC
Apprentice

They are 100% related to being signed up for Smart Parental Controls, confirmed by Netgear that these are disabled in the GUI when SPC is enabled on account (a mistake, by their admission.) Your post is full of words, yet bereft of content.

Message 11 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello BenjaminNYC,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you would like to remove SPC from your Orbi.

Please navigate to the following settings on your Orbi app:

HAMBURGER MENU > SETTINGS >  PARENTAL CONTROLS > toggle to DISABLE SMART PARENTAL CONTROLS.

After the SPC has been disabled a factory reset will be required on our Orbi router. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7