Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unreliable Ethernet Backhaul

steelhorse83
Guide

Unreliable Ethernet Backhaul

Here's a little background on my setup:

RBK53 (Router & (1) Satellite in the house, (1) Satellite in a detached garage)

All three units are running 2.1.3.4 (factory reset the satellites after upgrading, but not the router)

Satellite in detached garage using Ethernet backhaul via Netgear PLP2000 powerline ethernet adapters

I've had my RBK53 setup for almost a year now, and have luckly avoided most of the FW issues along the way, with the exception of the bugs in 2.1.2.18.  Initially, I was using wireless backhaul to the satellite in my detached garage, though the connection was always "poor" but consistent.  However, after upgrading to 2.1.3.4, the satellite would rarely connect to the router, so I bought the PLP2000 to try out Ethernet backhaul.

The PLP2000 is showing a green LED for connection status, which indicates +80Mbps between the powerline adapters.  I connected the Satellite and Router directly to the PLP2000's, and they connected immediately.  A check of the Satellite wireless speed using the Speedtest app on my iPhone showed I could max out my 25Mb up / 5Mb down DSL link.  Everything seemed to be working great, and I could stream Netflix at full HD with no issues.

However, now my Satellite is not connecting to the router, even though the Router GUI shows it's connected.  When I connect directly to the Satellite via a browser, I says it can't connect to the router (so it doesn't broadcast a wireless signal).  This obviously doens't make sense, since I'm connecting to it via the router, across the wired backhaul.

I have rebooted the Satellite, and I've also pressed the Sync button on both ends, but that didn't resolve it.  After rebooting, the Satellite will broadcast WiFi for a few minutes, then go back to nothing.

Any thoughts on how to resolve?  I'm really getting tired of this Orbi emotional rollercoaster.

Thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Please do a factory reset and set up from scratch with the router. v2.1.3.4 has some major changes in it and needs a factory reset and set up from scratch for this version. Other users have said there problem continued after updating FW with out resetting there router. Problems went away after resetting the router and setup from scratch. Try this first please. 

I saw an similar issue with mine as well. Reset cleared it. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please do a factory reset and set up from scratch with the router. v2.1.3.4 has some major changes in it and needs a factory reset and set up from scratch for this version. Other users have said there problem continued after updating FW with out resetting there router. Problems went away after resetting the router and setup from scratch. Try this first please. 

I saw an similar issue with mine as well. Reset cleared it. 

Message 2 of 4
steelhorse83
Guide

I did a factory reset on the Router last night, and so far everything is working as expected.  I was also seeing inaccurate "Connection Type" and "Connected Orbi" entries in the Attached Devices list, which seems to look right after the reset.  I'll update this thread if the anomolies return.

Thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 

Be advised there is newer fw availale for 50 series systems:

https://kb.netgear.com/000055985/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-4-10

up to you if you wanna update. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors