Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unwanted printing

user356
Guide

Unwanted printing

I get 3 pages printed each week. HP 5200 wireless printer did NOT print this out when connected to previous ASUS wifi router.  Problem started with installation of ORBI RB50.  How do I stop this useless printout.

Page 1           Get / HTTP/1.1    Host: 192.168.1.7:9100       User-Agent: curl/7.59.0         Accept: */*

Page 2           Head / RTTP/1.1        Host: 192.168.1.7:9100     User-Agent: curl/7.59.0

Page 3         OPTIONS * RTSP/1.0      Cseq:  1    User-Agent: curl/7.59.0

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

Once each week.  Fascinating.

Just wondering, what is the IP address of this HP printer?

If it is not 192.168.1.7, then what is at that IP address?

Thanks

Message 2 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the FW on the printer is up to date. 

Ensure all printer drivers installed on PCs/Laptops is up to date. 

If the printer is disconnected from the wifi, does this phantom printing stop? 

@user356 wrote:

I get 3 pages printed each week. HP 5200 wireless printer did NOT print this out when connected to previous ASUS wifi router.  Problem started with installation of ORBI RB50.  How do I stop this useless printout.

Page 1           Get / HTTP/1.1    Host: 192.168.1.7:9100       User-Agent: curl/7.59.0         Accept: */*

Page 2           Head / RTTP/1.1        Host: 192.168.1.7:9100     User-Agent: curl/7.59.0

Message 3 of 58
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @user356

Did you activate NG Armor? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 4 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

@user356 wrote:

Sorry to be redundant.  192.168.1.7 is the IP address of the printer, correct?

TCP port 9100 is a "raw data" printer port: https://okiprinting-en-gb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/334/~/what-is-port-9100%3F 

Message 5 of 58
user356
Guide

yes, security activated

Message 6 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

Troubleshooting something that happens once every seven days can be a challenge.  What I would do is set up a LAN/WAN capture to begin shortly before the next occurance.  After the three pages print, stop the capture, save the debug file, and open it in Wireshark (or equivalent).  Filter packets by the IP address, and that should reveal which device on the network is doing the printing.

I do this so often, it is not particularly complicated.  If this sort of thing appears complicated (because it is), maybe turn the priniter off for an hour each week?

Message 7 of 58
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @user356

There was a post that described the same behavior. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 8 of 58
langluc
Aspirant

i have the same problem. how can i solve it?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have same printer? 

Same Orbi system or something different? 

Please be more specific. 

Be sure the FW on the printer is up to date. 

Ensure all printer drivers installed on PCs/Laptops is up to date. 

Contact the printers mfr for additional help and information as well. 

@langluc wrote:

i have the same problem. how can i solve it?

Message 10 of 58
langluc
Aspirant

Epson WF-2860 and orbi RBR20.
Everything is update.
Message 11 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

@langluc wrote:
Everything is update.

Message 12 of 58
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @langluc

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 13 of 58
trampmasta
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue. I can disconnect it from wifi but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a printer that connects to the wifi? i am tempted to try a lan connection since it is next to one of my satellites. But as of now ti is still printing these same three pages with the printers ip on one of them. Has there been a solution for this? all FW and what not is up to date. and i have an HP Officejet 5258 and an RBR50 with Armor turned on.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

I have had an OfficeJet 6100 attached to my Orbi since I purchased the Orbi.  It NEVER spits out three pages like this.  (Not once)  So, this is not an obvious, easy-to-solve issue.  It is legitimate to ask whether the printer does this when connected via ethernet as well as WiFi.  (Why?  Well, it's not supposed to do this in the first place, so we're sort of grasping at straws.)

The key (to me) is that these pages are (a) being generated once a week by the printer itself, and so the question is "Why is it doing this?" and "How do I make it stop?", or (b) some device on the LAN is sending these pages to the printer and we want to know "Which device?" and "How do we make it stop?"

The only way I can think of to nail this down is to record LAN traffic and see if any device is sending packets to port 9100 on the IP of the printer.  If it's the Orbi doing this, then complain to Netgear.  On the other hand, if it is some other machine, then.......

I cannot even imagine recording an entire week of LAN traffic.  (Well, I can, but I'm a nerd.)

Message 15 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my goodness.  Please read this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Printer-spontaneously-prints-when-Netgear-Armor-Security-Scans... 

Do YOU happen to have activated Bitdefender Armor?

Message 16 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

Even more fun.  Go to the Netgear Armor community forum and search for "printer".

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor 

Message 17 of 58
user356
Guide

Printer Wifi only.

All printer drivers on All devices updated

Remote email print capability was turned off

Had primary computer software cleaned, etc by geek squad.

1022 PST Saturday got same three pages.

I'm still looking at the orbi to printer enterface area in the orbi software side.  Remember it did not do this on the ASUS wifi router.  Change of configuration was orbi. 

Will be checking laptop software.  4 hour wait last time I thought to log in.

Message 18 of 58
user356
Guide

That is the IP address of the printer, plus the last 4digits

Message 19 of 58
user356
Guide

hmmm, orbi is outside my firewall.  Cable, modem, eithernet to orbi, orbi out eithernet to fire wall in computer.  Laptop entry into system is also outside the firewall.  I'd like the main computer as the firewall and orbi password protected to access.  Time to test a different configuration?

Message 20 of 58
user356
Guide

That would be beyond my curent profeciency level.  My fortrane is rusty if you get my meaning.  

Message 21 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

@user356 wrote:

Remember it did not do this on the ASUS wifi router.  Change of configuration was orbi. 

With Orbi came Armor.  Having browsed the Armor community forum, my first step would be to disable Armor.

Message 22 of 58
FURRYe38
Guru

Still curious about this...

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@langluc wrote:
Everything is update.

Also this printer has wired connection as well:

Connectivity:
Standard Connectivity:
Hi-Speed USB
Wireless (802.11 b/g/n)2
Wi-Fi Direct2 (4 connections)
Wired Ethernet (10/100Mbps)
NFC3

Something I would connect and temporarily disable wifi on the printer to see if thise phantom pages still get printed or not. Then troubleshoot from there. 

Message 23 of 58
User_JJ
Aspirant

Have experienced the same unwanted printing. Did not even eject the page from my Epson ET-2650. 

I have RBR50 with Netgear Armor (Bitdefender) activated. I would think a better solution exists or fix for Armor than simply deactivating it as some have. This has occured twice so far the last several weeks. Did not have this problem before.

Printed without ejecting the paper:

HEAD / HTTP/1.1

HOST: <my ip of my printer>:9100

User Agent: curl/7.59.0

Accept: */*

OPTIONS * RTSP/1.0

CSeq: 1

User-Agent: curl/7.59.0

GET / HTTP/1.1

Host:<my ip>:9100

User Agent: curl/7.59.0

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 24 of 58
CrimpOn
Guru

I think we all would agree that the preferred solution is for Netgear to "fix the software".  Until they do, however, there appear to be two solutions: (a) waste some paper once a week, or (b) deactivate Armor.

There is probably a lot more discussion on this topic over on the Armor forum: https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor I did not activate Armor, so I do not regularly look at that forum.

Message 25 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7