Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Update - Speed Throttling appears fixed by 2nd Reset

Ulairi
Luminary

Update - Speed Throttling appears fixed by 2nd Reset

I previously had problems with speed being throttled by the Orbi RBR50 router.  Router was throttling the speed from 200 Mbps to between 39-100 Mbps with most speeds at about 75. Background info per this thread.

A factory reset restored the speed to normal but the throttling re-occurred after approx 1 week.  However, after a second factory reset, I've now been at full speed for 4 weeks so - fingers crossed - it looks to be fixed.  If anyone has speed problems and you've exhausted all obvious steps, then try a factory reset.  

However, my other problem with the RBW30 wall plug satellite continues (per this thread). Netgear have RMA'd the RBW30 and the replacement is also doing the same thing (causing disconnects and only connecting via 2.4GHz backhaul, even in the same room).  Netgear support continues over that issue ...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 6
Ulairi
Luminary

6 weeks up and still maintaining normal speeds after the second factory reset.  All good.

However, I am noticing something that might give a hint to these sort of problems.  Our home network will not be exercising full capacity of 200Mbps down.  Typically a maximum of two video strteams (one of which is SD) at any given time.

When I do regular (daily) speed tests, the results are now returning the maximum result (200Mbps down).  However, a speed test after a lull preriod of no testing (typically 4-5 days) results in the initial test returning lower values.  Tonight after five days of not testing it was 80% on the initial run  (160Mbps). However a second, immediate, test gets expected results with maximum pland speeds. 

It's almost like the Orbi Router  is loosing some setting gradually over time and if I don't frequently exercise it to full capacity (via a speed test) then it 'forgets'.  Just a hunch based on results, to-date, over the last 6 weeks.  Thoughts?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 3 of 6
Ulairi
Luminary

Hi - thanks for taking an interest.

One stream is Ethernet (to main TV) while the other is typically WiFi to mobile devices.  However this is the average loading - somtimes there'll be multiple WiFi streams, sometimes my son's using his PS4 while the TV's also running and there's two simultaneous Ethernet streams.  But the key point is that we don't typically exercise our full bandwidth - apart from the speedtests.

There's the speed test results : link

I ran three tests and all three returned expected speeds (approx 200 Mbps down).  However the first test reported the quality as a 'B' while the two subsequent tests returned an 'A' for quality. However, to check my theory, it'd be better to not do any testing for a week, then retest using 'dslreports'.

Message 4 of 6
Ulairi
Luminary

No uploading at all (apart from a few photos ordered online once every six months or so) .  SpeedTest.net has always reported bullet-proof upload speeds per our plan (20 Mbps, up)

Message 5 of 6
Ulairi
Luminary

I've just added a new RBS50 satellite and the speed throttling reoccured after the sat was joined.  Another (third) factory reset to the router immediately restored full speed again. I didn't need to rest the two Sats. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7