Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Update V1.9.1.12 Netgear officially announcing 'Improvement in wireless connection Stability'

jmbarbs
Apprentice

Update V1.9.1.12 Netgear officially announcing 'Improvement in wireless connection Stability'

Just downloaded the latest release V1.9.1.12 and noticed in the official release notes from Netgear it states as fix 'Continious Improvement in wireless connection stability'..Dosent spefically makre reference to discconections but that sounds like a promising fix. 

Wonder if and when people update if they post if they have had discconnections (ios or Andriod) since installing V1.9.1.12 then we may know if its been fixed permanently

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 266
Chadhetlet
Guide

Re: Update V1.9.1.12 Netgear officially announcing 'Improvement in wireless connection Stability'

Can you link to the release notes? Not seeing it on the downloads page yet.
Message 2 of 266
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Don't think i can now as it came up in a popup box when clicking hyperlink of the version number beore i clicked the update button. As you say its not been updated on the netgear downloads page. From previous versions this is usually updated on the website 24 hours after its available on the router

Message 3 of 266
tubastank
Apprentice

Netgear,

When you release a new verion of firmware it would be nice to include release notes.  I have nothing but issues with Parental Controls and devices keeping them persistently.  I have to reboot the Orbi every couple of days.  For example, I have "None" set up for my laptops (MacBook & Dell) but sometimes when I launch IPVanish to create a VPN connection, the VPN client errors.  After I reboot the Orbi all is good for a couple days.

Anyone know if firmware version v1.9.1.12 includes fixes to the Parental Controls to keep them persistent....as it should be design?

Message 4 of 266

where did you download this version from as the web site im looking at has only 1.8.0.6 version as the latest and checking the auto update its says no new firmware

Message 5 of 266
tubastank
Apprentice

Online update.  It's most likely being released based on region as I too could not find it online through their download center.  I was able to successfully download and both the router and sattelites (x2) were updated to v1.9.1.12.  We'll see how things go.

Message 6 of 266

yer im on V1.9.0.3 ( beta tester ) and in australia so it will prob get to us next week lol

Message 7 of 266
rivets
Apprentice

Still dropping connections on the household iPads, so that's not fixed. 

Message 8 of 266
Ts937km
Apprentice

So far no drops on my iPad Pro or iPhone.  Historically in the morning I would have issues or anytime I left the iPad alone .    Updated router and 2 satellites to 1.9.1.12 yesterday.    I also moved my satellites to the end of my house on the main level and the router is in the middle of the basement seems like they are supposed to be 40-70 feet from each other correct?

Message 9 of 266
Ts937km
Apprentice

Oh and

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO

Are disabled under avanced - wireless settings.  

Message 10 of 266
rivets
Apprentice

I just disabled those to see if that fixed the drops. The router and satellite are about as far apart as I can get them. 

Message 11 of 266
AMarket42
Star

About how far were you able to place them from each other? Mine are currently about 40 feet, considering trying to move them further.
Message 12 of 266
Ts937km
Apprentice

I would guess about 40 ft from the router to each satellite. Hard to measure with being on a different level plus going through multiple walls and a floor. 

With a couple of different tools my whole house is solid green on a wifi heat map.  

Message 13 of 266
Ts937km
Apprentice

Btw.  Still stable.      No iPad or iPhone drops today.  Was gone for several hours today and iPad hasn't had any issues.  Historically it would have complained about no wifi already. 

Message 14 of 266
rivets
Apprentice

Sadly been dropping here all day. Apple TV is fine but iPads eating battery and disconnecting. 

Message 15 of 266
Ts937km
Apprentice

Couple things I would try.

Do you have any other wifi on? Like uverse, etc. If uverse how is your network configured? Just hanging off the uverse router or is it a different network bridged (and Different IP range). I'm on at&t gigapower or at&t fiber I think it's called now.

I had reset my network settings on my iPad and iPhone and then rebooted them. And then reconnected. Trying to troubleshoot. As it used to be on a different router with same name.

I would fully reboot the orbis. Turn them off. Boot up the router. And then the satellites.

Make sure beam forming and mmu are turned off before the reboot. Last two options on the advanced wireless settings pages.

Is your orbi satellite at least 40 ft away from the orbi router.
Message 16 of 266
rivets
Apprentice

No idea what uverse is, so I don't have it 🙂 (I'm in the U.K.)

beam forming and MIMO are off. I have Sonos. But it is on channel 11 and Orbi is on 1. Power on 2.4 set to 25%.

router and satellite may not be 40 ft apart. I will probably try moving it up a floor tomorrow.  Everything has been rebooted and reset multiple times. I'm constrained by where the copper enters the building and the depth of the house. 

Message 17 of 266

yup correct location is the key here , too close and the clients will get confused , too far apart and the clients may disconnect in the middle

Message 18 of 266
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Been using latest version for 24 hours and still getting iOS disconnections. Lost patience now. Seriously considering google wifi now it's available in the UK. I'll put up with slower speed for greater reliability, as the orbi at present is unusable (for me)

Message 19 of 266

@jmbarbs wrote:

Been using latest version for 24 hours and still getting iOS disconnections. Lost patience now. Seriously considering google wifi now it's available in the UK. I'll put up with slower speed for greater reliability, as the orbi at present is unusable (for me)

suggest you google a bit on google wifi as its having its own issues as well

http://www.techradar.com/news/google-wifi-is-facing-more-connection-problems

Message 20 of 266
rivets
Apprentice

Yeah, I'm seriously considering taking the Orbi back. Very annoying. Might look at the linksys or the new tp-link mesh. (Though I don't think that's in the UK yet)

Message 21 of 266

@rivets wrote:

Yeah, I'm seriously considering taking the Orbi back. Very annoying. Might look at the linksys or the new tp-link mesh. (Though I don't think that's in the UK yet)

lol good luck with tp link , knowing these mesh systems pretty well now i would suggest you leave tp link well alone at least for the first 6 months

Message 22 of 266
rivets
Apprentice

Yeah, though the tp-link kit which the Orbi is replacing was pretty solid. I may just go back to that. 4 SSIDs and all. 

Need a a full wireless system though if I stay mesh - no way to run cables acceptably in the house. See how it goes moving the satellite up a floor. (Though that will be almost vertically above the router so less than 40ft most likely)

Message 23 of 266

depends what that floor is made of too

Message 24 of 266
rivets
Apprentice

Victorian house. Brick, wood, plaster. 

Message 25 of 266
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7