Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Update V1.9.1.12 Netgear officially announcing 'Improvement in wireless connection Stability'

marshymallow
Apprentice

Re: Update V1.9.1.12 Netgear officially announcing 'Improvement in wireless connection Stability'

Currently on this FW.

WWM disabled.

MU-MIMO disabled.

Beamforwarding disabled.

WIFI still drops on Android devices while stationary !

This WIFI drop issue is the biggest bane to Orbi right now !

Message 126 of 266
mixolyd
Star

beta firmware definitely seems more stable on my end... 

Message 127 of 266
marshymallow
Apprentice

How do I get a download of the Beta Firmware?

Message 128 of 266
mixolyd
Star

Contact support
Message 129 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

Over 1 week of running Beta code.

Yes, it’s better than 1.9.x, but still has problems.

1. Random reboot with Orbi router 3 days after applying beta. No reason, no logs, no nothing. Netgear ask me to send the the debug log. Its empty.
  2. Still experience random disconnects with iPhone and iPad, and Apple TV.

Yes, beta is more stable than 1.9.x, but that is not a good thing for many of us.

1.8.x had problems that needed resolution. It was not stable. Netgear releases 1.9.x which was FORCED on us due to auto-update. No option to disable auto-update. Several methods have been provided by forum members to block Orbi’s auto-update ability, but those methods require a separate router with firewall port-blocking ability, which not everyone has. 1.9.x was HORRIBLE. It made Orbi virtually useless for many of us, forcing us to run back to 1.8.x, only to wake up and find it had auto-updated back to 1.9.x.

Netgear lowered the bar so LOW with 1.9.x that we now view 1.8.x as the benchmark for “GOOD”. But 1.8.x was not GOOD. It was also problematic.

So, to tell me that the beta is now operating at the level of 1.8.x IS NOT an improvement.

Once again, I am being forced to disable my WIFI on my iPhone devices because WIFI-Calling disconnects. My SlingTV is still buffering, and so is Sony Vue. My home internet applications are not stable because the WIFI is not stable. Skype for Business pops up every 30 minutes screaming it cannot connect to the Skype services (runs on my Macbook Pro).

I have begun my research and planning into Unifi from UBNT. I will most likely move to this solution within the next 2-3 weeks. I would appreciate any others who have used Unifi to share their experiences. Please.

My denial is over. Netgear’s next firmware release MUST not only make Orbi work in the most basic realm of “stable WIFI”. But it must improve on the many other areas we owners and forum members have expressed.

I was helping a friend today with a tech problem (using WIFI-Calling). I shared with him my last 2 years of down-teching my home and choosing products that are more simple and easier on the eyes. I shared with him my Orbi experience (10 minutes into wifi-calling and dropped, calling him back), and working with Netgear Dev Teams to test beta code due to the problems. He laughed and said, “It doesn’t sound like you made your life and home easier”. 20 minutes into call, Dropped again, disable WIFI and use cellular connection. On the phone 60 minutes via cellular, not a single disconnect.

I think this week I am going to role back all devices to my ASUS RT3200. See how well it does for the week. If it holds connections stable for the entire week (as it did before Orbi), then my problem is validated.

Message 130 of 266
fbraz50
Apprentice

I'm running the beta as well. I haven't had a chance to really test fully yet. My desktop hasn't dropped yet in 24 hours of constant pinging of google.com. I will try to do some more stressful testing as this week goes on.

I'm sorry to hear your issues are still continuing and I will post back when I've really done mine.
Message 131 of 266
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Update V1.10.1.2 currently rolling out in UK

Message 132 of 266

RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 1.9.1.12

is the latest version available to the public  , anything after that is within beta and is under NDA

Message 133 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

Well, I have said nothing to violate NDA. No details concerning beta version details or changes. Only high-level experiences which is more than acceptable to share based on the 50 NDAs I have signed over the years with multiple OEMs (mostly for work related projects).

As for the other forum member indicating the new version rolling out in Europe. It sounds like it is public.

Message 134 of 266
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

It must be public here in UK

I have not signed a NDA and I have just updated.

Message 135 of 266

so post a link to where its available as the main netgear web site only have the v1.9 firmware as indicated

Message 136 of 266
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I don't have a link.

I logged into my router and it said there was an update available

So I updated !
Message 137 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

Ummm..Well. Our freind in the UK is correct.

Visit your Orbi Web GUI and check for updates. 10.1.2 is now available...

Message 138 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

Slightly newer than the beta version.

Message 139 of 266
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Whoa easy there Flash008, way to blow the NDA by hinting toward the beta number!! 🙂
Message 140 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

LOL....NDA still good buddy. Calm yourself and go back a read an NDA and a definition of an NDA.

Specific data is NOT allowed.

General (high-level) comments of positive or negative experiences. Like or dislike comments, along with "implying" "something" is different, does not provide specific information.

If it did, then 90 percent of government clearance holders (which I have) along with corporate spokes people who talk about upcoming products releases and generalized comments via Bloomberg and conventions, would all be fired, imprisoned and/or sued.

To say “The weapon used is newer, or older, than a current weapon being used in a government military operation” does not violate an NDA, or Clearance (unless the operation was classified). Providing specific data about the weapon would get you in a lot of trouble.

The existence of a Netgear Beta was made public by Netgear. Sharing with the public that the public release of 10.1.2 is “newer” than the “beta’ does not, in anyway, share specific details of the beta.

Netgear’s purpose for an NDA is to protect intellectual property, and to limit the public knowledge of “specific” details concerning non-released, non-supported, and any changes that may not be permanent, ‘un-finished”. The last thing Netgear wants is to have me sharing incoming features and other details that they may later decide to not release. Or to share the beta code with someone who may call support for an untrained firmware release.

But I am sure you were looking for a laugh, so HA HA HA…..Happy Sunday, or Monday (UK).

Congratulations to all those who graduated school. Too many graduations these days. Do we really need a graduation for every grade level.

Message 141 of 266
marshymallow
Apprentice

From Singapore

I concur to just receiving official FW Ver. 1.10.1.2 and auto updated.

Will report back bout the WIFI drop issue upon testing.

Cheers

Message 142 of 266
tubastank
Apprentice

From Central Time United States

I too can confirm FW ver. 1.10.1.2 is available for download. Very odd this is being publicly released when I just installed the beta code a couple days ago. No mention from support this new FW ver. was available nor what bugs it fixes. You'd think they'd release it to beta testers first.

Message 143 of 266
fstockel
Star

I was running beta fw too. But installed 1.10.2 as the version number was higher. The beta version seems to have solved my problem with WAN disconnects but the new official (1.10.2) made my issues with disconnects come back again. I really had my hopes for the official as the beta was very promising on my orbi kit. I reverted back to beta this morning and my problems went away again.

Message 144 of 266
Cafetom
Star

Having run this 1.10.1.2 version now for 2 hours, I think the release notes of "Fixed few bugs" is accurate.  😄

Message 145 of 266
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you have the beta firmware check back on your support case as its been updated with new beta information.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 146 of 266
tubastank
Apprentice

My support case hasn't been updated; however I did submit a question on what to do. Stay on beta release or upgrade to new public release.
Message 147 of 266
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I haven't received a support case update in a couple of days, I'll write and ask for guidance.
Message 148 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

Support has responded.

Stay on beta. Contact support for new beta. Public 10.1.2 release is NOT the public beta release. I am not sure where the NDA applies, as I now have access to a new beta. I will continue to restrict information I share concerning unreleased beta version.

I think Netgear could at least respond on this forum and instruct (which they have, telling you to contact support).

We are "trying" to respect Netgear Beta NDA policy, but I am sure Netgear can understand the confusion caused by the version numbers.

Beta users need to contact support. The response is a "little" surprising.

Message 149 of 266
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Apologize if there's any confusion here -- let me try to clear this up:  

If you're on the beta firmware, and you like it, you should stay on the beta firmware -- do not upgrade.  The new 1.10 release that went out is NOT for you, it was for the non-beta customers (ie. general public).  Generally, we've had some positive feedback to the beta firmware, but we're not ready to push it out to everybody yet, but we needed to get some other fixes to the general public.  

We're in the process of pushing out a newer version of the beta firmware.  Again, apologies.  

NETGEAR Product Team. 

Message 150 of 266
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7