Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Update advisability of putting IoT devices on Guest WiFi and easiest way to do it.

jasperx
Tutor

Update advisability of putting IoT devices on Guest WiFi and easiest way to do it.

Some of the old posts seem to indicate that not much security can be gained from segregating the IoT devices onto a separate secure network because the Orbi does not have adequate "separation" of the guest and main network. It would be good to know that it is a waste of time or not.   I am also very keen to avoid repeating the hassle I had getting many of the 2.4 devices setup in the first place.  Unless there are tools or a smarter way to do this, I am guessing that it could take most of a day to shift the dozens of devices to the Guest network.  My dream process would be to clone my entire current setup, delete the few non-IoT devices from the clone and with a single setting, switch those remaining all to Guest.  The next step would be to delete the IoT devices from the main network.  Probably not possible but perhaps worth checking.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Update advisability of putting IoT devices on Guest WiFi and easiest way to do it.

I believe the consensus now is that Orbi's Guest network can be truly separate from the primary network.  Devices on the Guest network cannot communicate with devices on the primary network.  However, there is only a single binary choice.  Either guests can see "nothing", or "other guests can see each other and can access the primary network."  There is no option to allow guests to "see each other", but not access the primary network.  If ALL of these IoT devices need only Internet access, then they can be quarantined to the Guest network.

However, if there is even a remote chance that an IoT device needs to talk to another IoT device (like a ZigBee hub or other controller or an app running on a smart phone), then this may not end well.

No matter what, I would not spend hours and hours moving every possible device before confirming that the result is what I expect.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7