Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Update before install

nosmoke
Aspirant

Update before install

Hello,

I want the Orbi router and satellite to be fully updated firmware-wise prior to the tech arriving for our new FIOS installation.  When the Orbis arrive to my house, can I update the firmware before I bring it over to our small business for the actual FIOS install?  Or do they have to set up first on FIOS before I can update the firmware?  (I don't want the Tech to be bogged down by firmware installs, etc.)

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Yes, you can update the firmware first if you want.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Message 2 of 9
nosmoke
Aspirant

@st_shaw wrote:

Thanks!  So, I can just take the units of the box and follow the firmware update directions at my house without going through the "setup" process?

Also, when I turn them off and take them with me for install at the office, the firmware will be permanently "remembered"?

Message 3 of 9
VE6CGX
Master

My idea is alway try whatever I am installing just as is out of the box to make sure it is working. Then I'd update firmware or whatever

I want to do with the it. If firmware is updated right off the bat and gets into trouble, it'll create confusion regarding the cause of the

problem.

Message 4 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Yes, the firmware update is permanent.

You should be able to download the firmware files to your computer at home, and update the Orbi manually.  You would disconnect your computer from everything wired and turn off wifi (after downloading the firmware), then connect your computer to an Orbi LAN port via a wired connection, then log into Orbi at 192.168.1.1, and manually update via the GUI. I say should, because I haven't tried exactly this, and some people have had trouble logging into the Orbi before setup. To get this to work, you will probably need to be very familiar with your computer's networking settings: know how to determine your computer's IP address, manually set an IP address, know how to turn WiFi on and off, etc.

You could also just go through the normal Orbi setup process at home, but only connect one computer, update the firmware online, then disconnect Orbi.  Once at your office you would change the Orbi settings via the GUI to match the office environment.

The exact process depends upon how Orbi is setup (router vs. AP) and what equipment you have at the home and office.

Honestly, the simplest thing (and what I recommend) would be to just wait and set up Orbi at the office, then update the firmware after things are connected. I don't believe there is anything in recent firmware chages that will affect your install process.

Message 5 of 9
nosmoke
Aspirant

Thanks. We are planning on setting up the Orbi in router mode directly into the FIOS ONT via Ethernet connection (it's a completely new 300mb install.) I don't even want to waste time with the FIOS router. A FIOS rep told me that any router should work but they won't guarantee any speeds without the FIOS router.

I guess my biggest concern is that the Orbi will come with the oldest/original firmware out of the box and cause some kind of problem during installation and the FIOS tech will throw up his hands and only do the FIOS router.
Message 6 of 9
st_shaw
Master

OK.  If you are using Ethernet to the ONT then your installation should be relatively simple.

The Actiontec FiOS routers are pretty good. I'm not sure Orbi will do anything more or better for you, as a router.  You could start by using the FiOS router with WiFi OFF and Orbi in AP mode. You can always remove the FiOS router later and switch Orbi to router mode. Or buy a more advanced router with business-class features. (When you do, you might need to call Verizon and get them to release the connection from the old router.)

I doubt the FiOS tech will work with the Orbi anyway, because it's non-FiOS equipment, and because he won't be familiar with it. It depends on the tech.

Message 7 of 9
nosmoke
Aspirant

The office is 2500 SQ feet so i figured a normal router could not give me a simple way to cover the entire office (the patch panel is in a closet all the way to one side and i figured I'd need a satellite to cover the other side.) The orbi system is to cover everything with high speeds.
Message 8 of 9
st_shaw
Master

That's another reason to keep the FiOS router and use Orbi in AP mode.

When you use Orbi in AP mode, you can place the Orbi "router" and satellite anywhere you have an Ethernet drop in the office, to get the best coverage.

If you run in router mode, you are forced to put the Orbi router where the FiOS drop comes in. Having the Orbi router at the far end of the office might still work fine, but it probably won't give the best coverage, as compared to putting the Orbi and satellite on each end of the office, 1/4 of the way into the office.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7