Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Update firmware via app or web?

shankara
Tutor

Update firmware via app or web?

Hello: I use the Orbi RBR50 router with the RBS50 satellite at my home here in India. The Orbi app on my iPhone says that I am using firmware version V2.3.5.30IN. The support web site says that the current firmware version as of 20 March 2021 is 2.7.2.104. But when I try to find this version using the Orbi app on my iPhone by tapping on the "Check for Updates" button, the app times out and gives me a "Firmware Check Error". So since the app is clearly not working for me, is it safe if I update the firmware manually from the web site? Thanks for any comments!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
vajim
Master

IF you feel like you need to update your firmware use the pc login.

FYI...There have been numerous complaints about 2.7.2.104.  You may want to hold off.  

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

I usually recommend people upgrade over a hardwired connection. 

Its not supposed to make a difference as the upgrade process is supposed to be hosted on the router/satellites. 

But usually when I see corrupt firmware issues, its when done over wireless or using the app. 

So I recommend doing it hardwired into the router

Message 3 of 13
shankara
Tutor

Thanks! But I am also worried that because my Orbi app does not show the latest firmware version, perhaps I am not meant to install it for some reason. Are firmware updates restricted to certain regions, for example.

Message 4 of 13
vajim
Master

@shankara wrote:

Thanks! But I am also worried that because my Orbi app does not show the latest firmware version, perhaps I am not meant to install it for some reason. Are firmware updates restricted to certain regions, for example.

Forget the app

Message 5 of 13
shankara
Tutor

Interesting. Thanks!

Message 6 of 13
shankara
Tutor

What are the most reliable instructions for how to update firmware from my computer? (I use a Mac.) Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
vajim
Master

@shankara wrote:

What are the most reliable instructions for how to update firmware from my computer? (I use a Mac.) Thanks!

https://kb.netgear.com/000058278/How-do-I-update-the-firmware-of-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

is your system not working or unstable?

Message 8 of 13
shankara
Tutor

My system is mostly OK. I was looking into firmware upgrades for possible security patches. I have not updated the firmware at all since I bought the Orbi in October 2019. 

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version do you have loaded currently?

It's best to update the RBS first then RBR lastly if you do.

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

V104 is latest. Just avoid using Traffic Meter feature. Seems to break Orbi operation recently. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-104-Released/m-p...

I recommend that you factory reset and setup from scratch if you apply v104. 

@shankara wrote:

My system is mostly OK. I was looking into firmware upgrades for possible security patches. I have not updated the firmware at all since I bought the Orbi in October 2019. 

Message 10 of 13
shankara
Tutor

Thanks. I am currently using V2.3.5.30IN. So I am significantly out of date. Maybe I should update but not to the latest version?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats up to you. You can or leave it. Some update, some do not. I'm on v104. 

Message 12 of 13
vajim
Master

@shankara wrote:

Thanks. I am currently using V2.3.5.30IN. So I am significantly out of date. Maybe I should update but not to the latest version?

Just beware of the problems with 104

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7