Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Updated Orbi Router Firmware - now lost WAN access?

2intense
Tutor

Updated Orbi Router Firmware - now lost WAN access?

I received a banner notification in Orbi App this morning saying new firmware was available so I clicked on the "Update Now" button. It downloaded and installed the firmware, then rebooted. When it came back online I have LAN access and all of my devices are connected but no internet access now (WAN) ??

I unplugged cable modem and Orbi router for 60 secs and plugged cable modem in. After 2-3 mins when cable modem came online I plugged Orbi router back in and waited 2-3 mins for it to come online.

No change. All devices connected but still cannot connect to internet??
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
2intense
Tutor

Re: Updated Orbi Router Firmware - now lost WAN access?

When I logged into the router and went into the Firmware Update menu It showed the latest version had been installed (V1.12.0.18) on the router but failed on the satellites. So, while sitting on hold awaiting tech support for the third time since buying my Orbi a week ago (I had a case number), I ended up going to this page and downloading both firmware zip files for the Router and satellites expanding it to my desktop and installing them manually. Link: https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

That didn’t fix it. I had LAN but again no WAN…

So, I pulled out the paperclip that I have been wearing out since I bought the Orbi, reset the router and went through the setup all over again.

Again, LAN functioned but no access to the internet (WAN).

So, I unplugged the cable modem power cord for 60 seconds and plugged it back in. I pulled out the paperclip again and reset the router once modem was back on line…repeated setup process and finally everything worked. At this point nearly 40 minutes had passed while I sat on hold for Tech Support so I just hung up.

It’s been about 18 hours and so far everything is still working……until the next Firmware update I suppose? <smh>.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello 2intense 

You may want to try a factory reset on Orbi as this a big firmware update and then do the setup again.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
2intense
Tutor

When I logged into the router and went into the Firmware Update menu It showed the latest version had been installed (V1.12.0.18) on the router but failed on the satellites. So, while sitting on hold awaiting tech support for the third time since buying my Orbi a week ago (I had a case number), I ended up going to this page and downloading both firmware zip files for the Router and satellites expanding it to my desktop and installing them manually. Link: https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

That didn’t fix it. I had LAN but again no WAN…

So, I pulled out the paperclip that I have been wearing out since I bought the Orbi, reset the router and went through the setup all over again.

Again, LAN functioned but no access to the internet (WAN).

So, I unplugged the cable modem power cord for 60 seconds and plugged it back in. I pulled out the paperclip again and reset the router once modem was back on line…repeated setup process and finally everything worked. At this point nearly 40 minutes had passed while I sat on hold for Tech Support so I just hung up.

It’s been about 18 hours and so far everything is still working……until the next Firmware update I suppose? <smh>.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7