Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Updated RBR50 to firmware 2.5.2.4 and then my Satellite showing disconnected

leungwillwill
Aspirant

Updated RBR50 to firmware 2.5.2.4 and then my Satellite showing disconnected

Dear all

FYI. Before updates, my router and satellite are both working fine.

I login my orbi app yesterday, and saw the "update" icon. And so I do the firmware updates as suggested.  Now my main router is at 2.5.2.4.  But once the update completed, then it's showing my "Satellite" disconnected. 

I try to unplug the satellite and plug again, no help.

I tried to press the reset button on the satellite, no help.  I have tried to press for 15s, 30s, and 60s, no different.  The green power on light stay for the whole time. No flashing, no restart.  Feels like bricked to me.

My orbi router still working right now but my wifi signal has been dropped at certain area due to missing the satellite.  Don't know what to do now.  Really hope someone can help me here.  Thanks a lot in advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
vajim
Master

Re: Updated RBR50 to firmware 2.5.2.4 and then my Satellite showing disconnected

@leungwillwill wrote:

Dear all

I login my orbi app yesterday, and saw the "update" icon. And so I do the firmware updates as suggested. 

This was NOT a suggestion, it was an announcement of availability.  You did not have to update.  The choice was yours.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to make sure your RBS are updated to same version of FW. 

If they won't sync, then do the following to get them updated:

You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current or same FW version RBS files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page and manually FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR.

It's preferred not to use orbi app to perform FW updates. Seems to cause problems. Recommended is a PC and web browser. 

@leungwillwill wrote:

Dear all

I login my orbi app yesterday, and saw the "update" icon. And so I do the firmware updates as suggested.  Now my main router is at 2.5.2.4.  But once the update completed, then it's showing my "Satellite" disconnected. 

I try to unplug the satellite and plug again, no help.

I tried to press the reset button on the satellite, no help.  I have tried to press for 15s, 30s, and 60s, no different.  The green power on light stay for the whole time. No flashing, no restart.  Feels like bricked to me.

My orbi router still working right now but my wifi signal has been dropped at certain area due to missing the satellite.  Don't know what to do now.  Really hope someone can help me here.  Thanks a lot in advance!

Message 3 of 12
leungwillwill
Aspirant

As I am just an end user with average networking knowledge, I will "assume" to do whatever the app told me.  Another reason why I update the firmware is because I received an email notice as well.  I didn't even know I shouldn't follow what the manufacture's suggestions on this matter.  And now, I have a brick...

Message 4 of 12
leungwillwill
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38, thanks for trying to help!

1. I tried to follow your steps to update the RBS FW.  But unsuccessful as I never able to reset the RBS.

2. No matter how I try to reset, the power light just stay green solid, and the top light circle never come up.

3. I also tried the 30-30-30 method that I saw online, but unsuccessful.  Whenever I plug the power back, the power green light just stay solid, never flash, never change colour.

4. I also tried use Windows TFTP to upload the firmware, but same issue, the Power LED green light never change to orange or flash.

5. And at last, I tried the Tftpd64 software suggested by netgear as well, same thing, only see the green light, and never change.

It's super frustrated especially during lockdown, it's essential to have stable internet.  And the thing is, it brick because of I follow what Netgear suggest to update the FW!  My router is 2 yrs old and so it's over warranty.  And netgear has NO customer support, can't even give them a call unless pay them a fees, I think it's way too much.  And I am not sure how other think, but for me, this is totally not a cheap router! It's a lot expensive than another Mesh system, I wouldn't expect it will die because of updating their official FW....

Honestly, I am pretty surprised that it's the end user's responsible to do the updates, and even have to know that I should update the RBS first instead.  Isn't Netgear should be the one who handle these challenge instead of the customer? I don't think all the end user have the skills to find this out.  I personally think this is very disappointed customer service.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support for additional help and information regarding this. See what your options are. Also reach out to a forum moderator as well.

@Blanca_O 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 12
vajim
Master

Good Luck. 

Report back please.Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
leungwillwill
Aspirant

As FURRYe38 suggested, I have send a PM to Blanca_O

Will look forward to the response.  Thanks everyone!

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted....

@leungwillwill wrote:

As FURRYe38 suggested, I have send a PM to Blanca_O

Will look forward to the response.  Thanks everyone!

Message 9 of 12
vajim
Master

@leungwillwill wrote:

.  Thanks everyone!

Thank you

Message 10 of 12
leungwillwill
Aspirant

It's been over a week or two.  The updates is - NO REPLY from netgear!  

I am so disappointed by their products and customer service. Will look for a new system that's not netgear now.

Message 11 of 12
vajim
Master

@leungwillwill wrote:

It's been over a week or two.  The updates is - NO REPLY from netgear!  

I am so disappointed by their products and customer service. Will look for a new system that's not netgear now.

sad based on what you've been through

is the orbi still under warranty?  if so in the package there should have been a number to call

if not, have you performed a factory reset on all?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7