Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Updating RBK50 to 2.5.1.8 has bricked it!!

Plambertuk
Aspirant

Updating RBK50 to 2.5.1.8 has bricked it!!

Hi,

I applied a manual update of firmware 2.5.1.8 to RBR50 and RBS50. The satellite update worked as it should but the router has bricked. By bricked I mean the ONLY light showing is the power LED. Using a paperclip in the reset hole does nothing (no matter how long it is held down). Prior to this both were running version 2.5.0.38.

I had recently setup another Orbi system for a friend and noticed ,out of the box, it flagged a new version of firmware 2.5.1.8 was available - installed just fine. My own router (the bricked one) wasn't offering the update which is why I tried the manual update.

Sod's law is that my router went out of warranty two weeks ago aaargh - anyone know if this is fixable by me or netgear?

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Updating RBK50 to 2.5.1.8 has bricked it!!

If the power LED is green, then you can try to install the firmware using tftp (Trivial File Transfer Protocol).

That is explained in this link: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

Since it is "dead" and out of warranty, you do not have a lot to lose by trying.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure when manually updaint FW, that you use a wire connected PC and a known working browser. Chrome is known for not working well for FW updates and can cuase the router to become bricked. Use of IE11, Firefox or Opera or Safari for Mac is recommended browsers for any FW udpates. Hope the recovery method works to get the RBR working again as suggested by @CrimpOn .

@Plambertuk wrote:

Hi,

I applied a manual update of firmware 2.5.1.8 to RBR50 and RBS50. The satellite update worked as it should but the router has bricked. By bricked I mean the ONLY light showing is the power LED. Using a paperclip in the reset hole does nothing (no matter how long it is held down). Prior to this both were running version 2.5.0.38.

I had recently setup another Orbi system for a friend and noticed ,out of the box, it flagged a new version of firmware 2.5.1.8 was available - installed just fine. My own router (the bricked one) wasn't offering the update which is why I tried the manual update.

Sod's law is that my router went out of warranty two weeks ago aaargh - anyone know if this is fixable by me or netgear?

Message 3 of 8
Plambertuk
Aspirant

Thanks I’ll try what you suggest, though I note the Tftp fix does need the reset button to provide an amber light. I don’t get any change in the green led (I can here the click of the micro switch). But you never know it may be stuck in a tftp wait loop!
Message 4 of 8
Plambertuk
Aspirant

Thanks very much for those browser tips. I’ll let you know how I get on.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to press in the reset button for 15 seconds to get the reset to fully start...

Message 6 of 8
Plambertuk
Aspirant

Thanks for your help @CrimpOn and @FURRYe38 but it just won't work. The clincher, I suspect, is that no matter how long I depress the reset button with my trusty paper clip that Green light just stays solid Green - no amber no Tfto it seems. Aaargh! 

It's a lesson learned. I must admit to being very dissapoiinted that applying NETGEAR's  software to their OWN hardware can do this. Worst of all and really unforgivable is the Reset process that just doesn't work! Now I need to look for a none NETGEAR solution any suggestions?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If the TFTP methods fails to work for you, I would open a support ticket with NG support and see if they can help you more or ask about an RMA. @Blanca_O 

@Plambertuk wrote:

Thanks for your help @CrimpOn and @FURRYe38 but it just won't work. The clincher, I suspect, is that no matter how long I depress the reset button with my trusty paper clip that Green light just stays solid Green - no amber no Tfto it seems. Aaargh! 

It's a lesson learned. I must admit to being very dissapoiinted that applying NETGEAR's  software to their OWN hardware can do this. Worst of all and really unforgivable is the Reset process that just doesn't work! Now I need to look for a none NETGEAR solution any suggestions?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7