Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade Orbi on wifi?

cdysthe
Virtuoso

Upgrade Orbi on wifi?

Hi,

It looks like I have to upgrade to the latest firmware for my Orbi router/satellite. I have to do it manually since, as I understand it, it won't be pushed through auto-update. I have updated firmware on many Netgear routers over the years, but not a router/satellite system like this one. I do understand I do the satellite first and then the router. But do I wait until the satellite comes up again and connects before I do the router? Also, it doesn't say anywhere I need to push the firmware over an ethernet connection, does that mean I could do it over Wi-Fi?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgrade Orbi on wifi?

Yes you can push the FW to the RBR after the FW is sent to the RBS. You don't have to wait for the RBS to come to ready. Just make sure the RBS FW file is fully sent first before sending to the RBR. 

Ethernet is always recommeded as the perferred connection and safe way of sending FW files to the devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can push the FW to the RBR after the FW is sent to the RBS. You don't have to wait for the RBS to come to ready. Just make sure the RBS FW file is fully sent first before sending to the RBR. 

Ethernet is always recommeded as the perferred connection and safe way of sending FW files to the devices. 

Message 2 of 6
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Some more clarification. Should I update both the router and satellite through the router web interface or should I update the satellite through it's own web interface on it's IP?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have access the the RBS web page, I would manually download RBS FW file for the RBS and push it using the RBS web page. After RBS are updated, update the RBR. 

@cdysthe wrote:
Some more clarification. Should I update both the router and satellite through the router web interface or should I update the satellite through it's own web interface on it's IP?

Message 4 of 6
cdysthe
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you have access the the RBS web page, I would manually download RBS FW file for the RBS and push it using the RBS web page. After RBS are updated, update the RBR. 

@cdysthe wrote:

Just as I had downloaded and was about to install the FW auto update had the same FW. So I used autoupdate and everything worked just fine. Thank you all for help!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation