Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading ISP branded (Verizon) Orbi RBR50 and Orbi RBS50 to new firmware

schmattieboi
Guide

Upgrading ISP branded (Verizon) Orbi RBR50 and Orbi RBS50 to new firmware

I recently was given an Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 satellite from family as they upgraded to something else. This was great for me as these are way better than what I had before. Naturally, I wanted to make sure the firmware was up to date as I wasn't sure if they were keeping up with that. Currently, the firmware version is showing up as V2.1.4.16_1.0.0.11 . It seems like I had to manually update the firmware to a newer version so I attempted to update to V2.2.1.212; however, was met with this error: "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product." After some googling, it seems like there is a common issue with updating ISP branded Orbi routers with no easily definitive answers (that I could find). Is anyone aware of a surefire way of updating an ISP branded Orbi router to new firmware?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

How did you conclude that this Orbi was supplied by Verizon?

(Something on the product label?  Previous owner comments?)

There is no problem with manually loading the same firmware as is already on an Orbi.

You might try to manually install v2.1.4.16 and see if it gives the same error.

Message 2 of 17
schmattieboi
Guide

Thanks for the response. Verizon shows up in the top of the Web UI. As for loading the same firmware, I also tried this to the same result.

I've linked pictures if that helps:

Satellite Version

Updating Satellite 

Satellite Update Failed with error 

Top panel of Web UI 

Message 3 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, (duh) that pretty much takes care of that question.  Thanks.

One customer got satisfaction from Verizon, although his solution may not apply in your specific case:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Verizon-FIOS-sold-Orbi-firmware-replacement/m-p/1772268 

On balance, my guess is that you are "stuck".  We have a mantra here, "If it ain't broke, please don't try to fix it."

So, if the Verizon firmware works as well as you need, maybe better to give up on the issue.

There is a Chinese hacker who found a way to turn an Orbi router into a satellite.  Maybe (just maybe) that technique could be used to convert it from a Verizon firmware to Netgear firmware.  But, that's a pretty big gamble when the family wants the "internet to work."

Message 4 of 17
schmattieboi
Guide

Thanks - that seemed to be my conclusion as well.

Message 5 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@schmattieboi wrote:
Thanks - that seemed to be my conclusion as well.

After speaking to some sources at Verizo and Frontier, you are correct there is no current way to change the firmware from Verizon to Netgear. I would use it if possible or try to sell it to a Verizon customer that is looking for an Orbi system. Out of curiosity I searched for a hack. There is none. If you don't care about bricking the device, the Chinese hack to turn it into a satellite may work. If it did you could possibly be able to flash the proper firmware to it. It is a risk, as you could brick the device. 

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I thought I remembered one posted user mentioning that they had used recovery to send down stock FW to the Verizon RBS and RBR. Something you can try. 

@schmattieboi wrote:

Thanks for the response. Verizon shows up in the top of the Web UI. As for loading the same firmware, I also tried this to the same result.

I've linked pictures if that helps:

Satellite Version

Updating Satellite 

Satellite Update Failed with error 

Top panel of Web UI 

Message 7 of 17
schmattieboi
Guide

Message 8 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@schmattieboi wrote:

Do you mean this?

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Yes, worth a try, but I think I read it does not work. But may be worth giving it a go. 

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I thought I saw a post a while back that someone managed to convert from Verizon to NG stock using that method. Let us know if you try. 

Are the RBS also on Verizon FW? I would probably try converting a RBS first. 

@schmattieboi wrote:

Do you mean this?

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Message 10 of 17
schmattieboi
Guide

Yes - both are verizon firmware as far as I can tell (see earlier pictures). If I do try it, I will add results as it seems like that kind of information is hard to find.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Hope it works. 

Message 12 of 17

Was able to get the manual firmware update to work on both the Router and the Satellite to REPLACE the lame Verizon firmware. Steps are as follows;

1) Download identical versions of the firmware (example RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img and RBS50-V2.5.1.16.img)

2) Get TFTP software ready to upload (put) firmware on the corresponding devices and set laptop / computer ethernet to static IP of 192.168.1.10 with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0.

3) Starting with the Satellite

a. Turn off and unplug any ethernet devices

b. Using a paperclip, press and hold the reset button

c. Turn on while holding in reset button

d. After 30 seconds and while the LED is blinking Red, release the reset button

e. Plug ethernet from laptop/computer to Satellite

e. Upload (aka put) the RBS50-Vx.x.x.x.img to 192.168.1.250

Macbook example --> tftp 192.168.1.250 <enter>

bin <enter>

put RBS50-V2.5.1.16.img <enter>

4) After about 20 seconds, the upload should complete.  DO NOT POWER OFF ANYTHING.  

5) Within 5 minutes, the Satellite should reconnect to the Router 

6) Once the Satellite settles down and the top ring LED turns off, repeat the steps above for the Router.  DON'T FORGET TO USE THE CORRESPONDING FIRMWARE.  The router uses RBR50-Vx.x.x.x.img.  Notice the only difference is the second "R".  🙂

7) The Router, once restarted, will want to run through the ORBI mobile app setup.  Or you can connect to http://192.168.1.1. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Great info. Thanks for posting. 

What OS were you using? Windows 10? 

@Nerdopolis757 wrote:

Was able to get the manual firmware update to work on both the Router and the Satellite to REPLACE the lame Verizon firmware. Steps are as follows;

1) Download identical versions of the firmware (example RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img and RBS50-V2.5.1.16.img)

2) Get TFTP software ready to upload (put) firmware on the corresponding devices and set laptop / computer ethernet to static IP of 192.168.1.10 with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0.

3) Starting with the Satellite

a. Turn off and unplug any ethernet devices

b. Using a paperclip, press and hold the reset button

c. Turn on while holding in reset button

d. After 30 seconds and while the LED is blinking Red, release the reset button

e. Plug ethernet from laptop/computer to Satellite

e. Upload (aka put) the RBS50-Vx.x.x.x.img to 192.168.1.250

Macbook example --> tftp 192.168.1.250 <enter>

bin <enter>

put RBS50-V2.5.1.16.img <enter>

4) After about 20 seconds, the upload should complete.  DO NOT POWER OFF ANYTHING.  

5) Within 5 minutes, the Satellite should reconnect to the Router 

6) Once the Satellite settles down and the top ring LED turns off, repeat the steps above for the Router.  DON'T FORGET TO USE THE CORRESPONDING FIRMWARE.  The router uses RBR50-Vx.x.x.x.img.  Notice the only difference is the second "R".  🙂

7) The Router, once restarted, will want to run through the ORBI mobile app setup.  Or you can connect to http://192.168.1.1. 

Message 14 of 17
EJHonda
Aspirant

I too have run into this aggravating roadblock to updating the firmware on my Verizon-branded Orbi RBR50 router and satellite.  I'd consider taking the risk to get back on generic firmware as specified here, but Netgear doesn't seem to offer separate firmware for the RBS50 satellite, just the file for the RBR50.  Am I missing something?

*EDIT* - I found the satellite firmware. Had to Google specifically for it. For some reason I didn't see it offered in the drop-down menues in the Netgear support website.

There goes that excuse to make this jump...

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, there is separate RBS FW files. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Plug in RBK50 

@EJHonda wrote:

I too have run into this aggravating roadblock to updating the firmware on my Verizon-branded Orbi RBR50 router and satellite.  I'd consider taking the risk to get back on generic firmware as specified here, but Netgear doesn't seem to offer separate firmware for the RBS50 satellite, just the file for the RBR50.  Am I missing something?

*EDIT* - I found the satellite firmware. Had to Google specifically for it. For some reason I didn't see it offered in the drop-down menues in the Netgear support website.

There goes that excuse to make this jump...

Message 16 of 17
schmattieboi
Guide

Just to follow up from when I made this post, I never did attempt to change the firmware from the Verizon stamped one. I just decided to go with an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach and my Orbi is still chugging along. If I ever do change routers I may attempt it; but, until then I’ll be sticking to what’s working 🙂 .
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7