Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading Options

AldenDreamer
Tutor

Upgrading Options

I have had my Orbi for almost two years and it works wonderfully. I have gigabit Fios and successfully replaced the Verizon Quantum Gateway router and now only use the Orbi and the Satellite.

I am thinking of upgrading and presume a new Orbi is the best option. I am open to other Netgear models.

As background, I live in a duplex apartment of about 1,500 square feet. The satellite is used to ensure coverage on the second floor.

So the questions are should I upgrade? Will I gain speed or other benefits?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Upgrading Options

will you see benefits to upgrading to orbi AX? Sure. 

Will they be worth the cost? That depends on a lot of things. 

1500 sqft isn't a huge space so you're not looking for coverage. 

The 50 series was also the higher performing of the orbi versions so you're on the best AC system orbi had/has. 

Are you needing faster speeds or concurrent broadcasting?

do you have many AX devices?  

You might see a little bump in speeds for your AC devices. 

I switched from AC to AX and seen a little difference in speed on my AC devices but I didn't see enough to fully justify it (don't tell my wife). Problem is that most of my devices that max out speeds (my server) is hardwired in. The rest mainly streaming/browse//game and don't really need max speeds. They just need consistent speeds that are high enough to do them. For instance, you'd only need 20-40mbps to stream 4k is good quality. 

If it was me and the 50 series was meeting your needs still, I'd hold off for second generation AX technology or wifi 6E. The first generations of wifi standards always tend to have a few bugs/performance issues 

Message 2 of 3
AldenDreamer
Tutor

Re: Upgrading Options

Thanks. You have saved me the need to upgrade for at least a year.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7