Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading to Orbi

KevCB
Aspirant

Upgrading to Orbi

Hi all

So, I currently have a D6400 modem/router, and am looking to add Orbi (probably the router and 2 satellite option for maximum Mesh coverage).

I know that i'mm need to set the D6400 to Modem mode and then add the Orbi Router via Ethernet cable, what I dont know however, is what to do with an external hard drive that is currently corrected to the D6400 via the USB port.

Will I be able to leave this as it is and still able able to access the contents remotely or will I need to change this to one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the Orbi?

While i'm writing, am I right in thinking that I can daisychain the Orbi system rather than having to link all the satellite units to the router?

Many thanks

Kev

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi system doesn't support USB drives connected to the system. ReadyNAS is not supported on Orbi. 

Message 2 of 5

As @FURRYe38 says, Orbi does not support USB storage.

You can keep the USB active if you run the Orbi in wifi access point mode and leave the D6400 as a modem/router.

Another advantage of the latter approach is that you will avoid one of the problems that I had running in modem only mode,

Power cuts took out the whole network, and when the power came back on the D6400 took so long to boot that the router behind it timed out, leaving me with a dead network. No problem if you are there, but not good if you are away when it happens.

Message 3 of 5
KevCB
Aspirant

Thanks gents

Another question for you @michaelkenward (sorry)

If the Orbi is set to Access Point mode, will this still form a Mesh network with the satellites connected in Daisychain style (with the Orbi router connected to the D6400 via Ethernet cable)?

Seems silly that Netgear havent enabled USB storage!  

Message 4 of 5

@KevCB wrote:

If the Orbi is set to Access Point mode, will this still form a Mesh network with the satellites connected in Daisychain style (with the Orbi router connected to the D6400 via Ethernet cable)?

Yes.

@KevCB wrote:

Seems silly that Netgear havent enabled USB storage!  

Yes.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7