Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading to wifi 6 worth it?

Joevberg
Aspirant

Upgrading to wifi 6 worth it?

I currently have rbk50 with 2 sattelites, I use both sattelites to connect tvs and media devices via ethernet. I have 400 fios service. Generally have no internet issues except not a real strong signal in garage. Would I benefit from the newer models with wifi 6? Be honest. Be sides.my smartphones I dont think any of my wife devices have wifi 6. But maybe the connection between sats and router will be better? Maybe signal strenth?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgrading to wifi 6 worth it?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

There is a Orbi AX forum for AX questions and help:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

AX is a benefit if you have AX mode supporting wifi devices. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Joevberg wrote:
 But maybe the connection between sats and router will be better? Maybe signal strenth?

Yes, the Product Data Sheet for the "AX" Orbi line indicates that the backhaul link between router and satellite has a higher maximum theoretical bandwidth of 2400mbs vs. the 1733mbs of the RBR50:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK852.pdf 

Whether this translates into better range or performance in your situation is unknown.

Since moving to WiFi6 is essentially a "fork lift upgrade" (out with the old, in with the new), I am waiting (a) until I actually have WiFi6 compatible products (I have zero now and do not anticipate buying new cell phones, tablets, or laptops for quite some time), and (b) until people begin to publish detailed comparisons of the competing WiFi6 products.  Every WiFi manufacturer is releasing WiFi6 products at wildly different price points, but all I see are "puff pieces" repeating marketing propoganda.  Nothing yet in the way of "head to head" technical reviews.

Message 3 of 7
Joevberg
Aspirant

Thank you. I dont plan on it at this point but there was a great deal I could get on one and if i found a buyer for my current than I would because the money wouldn't be much.
Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Joevberg wrote:
Thank you. I dont plan on it at this point but there was a great deal I could get on one and if i found a buyer for my current than I would because the money wouldn't be much.

Well, now that's a "horse of a different color."  (what the heck does that mean?)  A "good deal" changes one's perspective.

In that case, it might be worth a few minutes to browse the AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

I have looked very briefly at that forum. My impression is that some people report "good things" about the product, while others are frustrated by a lack of features that they assumed would be on the product.  Splitting 2.4G and 5G might be impossible on that platform.  Disney Circle may not be supported yet. etc. etc.  I should think it would not take very long to get a sense of how the AX product is being received.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

One can always return the AX system if one doesn't find it to there liking. Smiley Wink

If you find a system at cheap price, one can alwasy use a dfferent router that has more features and use either Orbi system in AP mode as well for good wifi. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 7
Jetdrive
Luminary

Another thing to consider is that Wifi 6E routers will be out by the end of the year with a totally new band -- 6 ghz on top of the current 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. It seems to me, especiallly if you don't currently have many Wifi 6 devices, that it would be better to wait for the Wifi 6E equipment. 

I suspect when Wifi 6E comes out, the current Wifi 6 routers will drastically drop in price due to the missing band.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7