Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upload speeds very slow on Orbi via Wifi - On ethernet its at 100%- why?

worldofshayan
Apprentice

Upload speeds very slow on Orbi via Wifi - On ethernet its at 100%- why?

So I've just got a new 200mbps dedicated fibre connection (clean full signal) and am using my Orbi Wifi system. On the Router Speedtest via the Orbi app (the speedtest of the router and the connection directly, a.k.a. not Wifi) the connection on download is 321mbps and upload is around 150mbps, i.e. full capacity. But on Wifi for some reason the download speed is 260-290mbps but the upload only around 25-50mbps. I can't for the love of god figure out why the upload speed is so slow! Can someone please help me? Is there a setting or something that helps the UPLOAD Speeds go to full throttle via Wifi? All my connections are via Cat 7 cables and everything is top grade!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
worldofshayan
Apprentice

I ended up flogging Netgear Orbi and buying the Zyxel Multy X. Way way better!!!

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
wase4711
Luminary

are you in router mode or AP mode?

funny, i get faster upload speeds on wifi than download speeds..

Message 2 of 16
worldofshayan
Apprentice

I'm in Router mode. 

Message 3 of 16
wase4711
Luminary

are you connected directly to your modem, or connected through a switch or another router?

Message 4 of 16
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Directly connnected. As stated the direct router speed test through the app is very good. It’s just on wifi the upload speed is very poor.
Message 5 of 16
wase4711
Luminary

that is very weird; I get faster upload speeds than download speeds, although I am connected through another router, so not sure if that affects things..

I pay for gig internet speed, and get about 500 megs up and down directly to the Orbis, and around 300 down, and 350 up when I do  speed test on my phones or tablets..

Message 6 of 16
worldofshayan
Apprentice

I have tried VELOP, GOOGLE WIFI, and ORBI. I think the only solution left is EERO PRO (2nd Gen). Everyone says its stable, easy to setup and the connection is rock solid. I don't need the extra ethernet ports at all too. What do you think? 

Message 7 of 16
wase4711
Luminary

I've tried all of those, and the Ubiquiti hd mest as well;

Eero is very stable, but not as fast speeds as this Orbi pro

If the Orbi Pro doesnt work for you, then definately the Eero Pro second gen shoudl be your second choice

Message 8 of 16
worldofshayan
Apprentice

I have the normal orbi. Not the pro. I have a 200mbps connection. I'm getting from 20-200 with the orbi and the main router speed is showing constantly good speeds (see speed test of main router to internet attached - excellent but wifi is dismal by comparison!). Even if the eero pro gives me 150 up and down I'll be ELATED! AS long as the dam thing works!!! 

Message 9 of 16
worldofshayan
Apprentice

how is th amplifi hd system?

Message 10 of 16
wase4711
Luminary

its got a great router unit, that shows all sorts of info on a round, color screen, along with a nice LED ring around the bottom of it.

The range is very good, as you get 2 plug in remote antennas, that you plug into power outlets, and then you can angle them in various directions to improve range.

My speeds were good, (150-300) to the router itself, versus 400-500 to the routerusing the Orbi pro.

Speeds to my devices, using Speedtest.net were in the 100-175 range, versus 150-325 on the orbi pro.

Zero disconnects with the Amplify, and its a bit less expensive than some of the others...definately worth trying, but not quite as fast as the Eero Pro, and not as fast as the Orbi Pro..

Message 11 of 16
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Are you using any specific settings on the ORBI? Just asking = as in advanced ones, specific DNS servers etc. Example see screenshot. Wondered if you can share your settings? Also are you using CAT 7 or CAT 6 or CAT 5E cables to connect your router as well as are you using Orbi in Router or AP mode? Just wanting to learn a bit more. Customer service is crap and only NETGEAR after 3 months disables all customer service when its product is in the height of troubleshooting. They have learnt NOTHING!!!!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 12 of 16
worldofshayan
Apprentice

Also are you using the setup with DAISY CHAIN TOPOLOGY ON or OFF?

Message 13 of 16
worldofshayan
Apprentice

I ended up flogging Netgear Orbi and buying the Zyxel Multy X. Way way better!!!
Message 14 of 16
CandaceWalton
Aspirant

Mine too. I'm contemplating returning my new Orbi. It is too hard to figure otu how to fix  this issue. I'm at .11 mbps upload speed. It is awful!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 15 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello CandaceWalton

What upload speed should you be getting? Have you tried new cables? did you make sure your modem is bridged or you are running Orbi in AP mode if you can not bridge your modem?

DarrenM

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7